Campus Issues

Rodgers: Homecoming lacks buzz, staple event

Syracuse University alumni from across the country gathered on campus this past weekend for Orange Central. Outside of the annual dance showcase sponsored by DanceWorks and the Traditions Commission, and the football game, SU’s Homecoming weekend lacks the buzz of excitement and interaction that a Homecoming should have.

Compared to other fun staple events that SU has — such as Juice Jam and Block Party — Homecoming pales in comparison. Models that other schools use for Homecoming could serve as examples of how to make it more interactive and memorable for students and alumni.

According to Orange Central’s website, the list of events planned by the university for the entire Homecoming week seems endless. Between art exhibitions and discussions, there was plenty to do during this weekend. But how well were students and alumni able to connect through these events?

Outside of the football game, the weekend seems to lack continuity, consistency and camaraderie. If SU wants Homecoming to truly be an opportunity for alumni and students to unite over their love for all things Orange, then there could be more exploration into events that better bring together past and present SU students.

Schools in the southern area of the U.S., such as Howard University, University of Central Florida and University of Florida, seem to have successful Homecomings. Howard is known for its infamous and celebrity-studded Yardfest and step show that alumni and students — and not only those that attend Howard, but students from schools across the country — attend in masses and anticipate every year.

The University of Central Florida hosts Spirit Splash, a ritual on the campus where students gather in the university’s Reflecting Pond before the school’s Homecoming football game. University of Florida students and alum also kick off their own Homecoming weekend with one a large-scale pep rally. Besides a football game, SU lacks a staple event special for the university.

A similar staple event on Syracuse University’s Homecoming weekend should reflect the exciting and fun-filled atmospheres the school is known to create for other annual celebrations, such as Welcome Week and MayFest.

The university could benefit from a differently structured Orange Central, one that better brings together the entire community of Orangemen and women. The university should consider events that unite the school for the weekend on a much larger scale. The grandest and most well-known opportunity students and alumni will have to interact with one another is the football game. Especially because not all students can get tickets for the game, additional options should be explored in order to incorporate a larger portion of the campus community into homecoming celebrations.

For SU to be known for its school pride, Homecoming should be the greatest epitome of love for our school. Whether it is an additional pep rally, parade or concert added to the Orange Central lineup, the university would benefit from another special event that brings students and alumni together outside of the Carrier Dome.

Nina Rodgers is a junior sociology major. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected].