Campus Issues

Rodgers: Universities should confront problematic groups in regards to sexual assault

On Oct. 20, the United States Department of Education released the final set of regulations for how colleges and universities should handle sexual offenses that occur on campus. The updated regulations are a step up from the already-existing guidelines described in the Clery Act, the Daily Californian reported. Schools that participate in federal financial aid programs are now required to detail disciplinary actions taken against those who allegedly commit crimes of domestic or dating violence, stalking or sexual assault. The accused and the accuser of such crimes now have the option of bringing an adviser or another person of their choice to any disciplinary meetings.

These new expansions are a positive step in the constantly evolving discourse and methods used to combat sexual violence on college campuses. The regulations give universities more guidance in how to handle those issues, and create more consistency and accountability for institutions across the country in the reporting and handling of their findings. Although the new Clery Act expansions are a step in the right direction, schools have to confront the most problematic areas at their respective institution head on.

Collegiate athletics and Greek life are two entities that universities sometimes shy away from confronting with disciplinary action. Since both realms often hold high stakes in profit and popularity at universities, they are seen as almost being invincible on campuses. But at the University of Oregon, for instance, students directly asked for changes in athletics and Greek life directly to be made, OregonLive.com reported.

On Oct. 22, a UO Senate task force for changing the culture of sexual violence on campus released a report with specific demands. “We must not be reluctant to name sexual violence or to discuss its prevalence, even when doing so entails investigating and addressing problems within organizations that contribute to the social and cultural life of the university,” the UO Senate report stated. The report also points to the strong stakes athletics and Greek life can often hold “in facilitating or tolerating” settings in which sexual violence can oftentimes occur.

Specifically here at Syracuse University, students and administrators alike should not be afraid of, or feel the need to walk on eggshells surrounding the most pressing issues. With the steps spelled out under new guidelines for the Clery Act regarding discipline and sexual violence, universities should also take it upon themselves to tackle problematic campus cultures and environments — something that legislation cannot necessarily accomplish.

Nina Rodgers is a junior sociology major. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected].