Williams out for season with lower-body injury, Hale finished with football

Syracuse freshman safety Rodney Williams is out for the season with a lower-body injury and senior wide receiver Keenan Hale is done with his football career, according to an SU Athletics release late Monday afternoon.

Williams played in two games this season, recording a pair of tackles and recovering a fumble at Central Michigan on Sept. 13. Orthopedic surgeon Todd Battaglia will perform the season-ending surgery.

Hale has never played a snap for SU and missed last season with a lower-body injury. He was rated as a two-star recruit by Scout.com and ranked as the No. 210 receiver in the Class of 2011.

“Hale, a native of Conyers, Ga. who is in his fourth year at Syracuse, has had three surgeries and, along with his family, has decided that it is best to move forward without football,” the release said.

He becomes the sixth player to leave the team this season for varying reasons, joining Alex Schoen, Naesean Howard, Franklin Santos, Evan Jakubowski and Josh Mims.

In the Oct. 27 article “Williams out for season with lower-body injury, Hale finished with football,” Keenan Hale’s status on the football was misstated. Hale decided to forgo the option to take another redshirt season, but still remains on the team this year. The Daily Orange regrets this error.