From The Studio

Senior to host concert at Funk n’ Waffles featuring pop-rock hits, acoustic songs

Kadijah Watkins | Staff photographer

Cory Tarallo, a senior acting major, will showcase his talents at a public performance at Funk N’ Waffles on Friday, Oct. 10. The concert, which he named “Top Secret” will also feature Otto Tunes, SU’s all-male a capella group, as the opening act.

UPDATED: Aug. 1 at 1:12 p.m.

Cory Tarallo wants to go out with a bang.

As a senior acting major, Tarallo wants to showcase his talents in a public performance before he leaves Syracuse. He said most acting students fulfill this tradition by performing in cabarets or monologue shows.

In an effort to step out of his comfort zone, Tarallo has decided to display his talents through a concert featuring several pop-rock hits and acoustic performances. The concert, called “Top Secret,” takes place Friday at Funk ’n Waffles.

“My favorite part of performing is singing,” Tarallo said. “I sing, I act and I dance, and nothing really brings me as much joy as singing, especially when it’s music that I’m passionate about.”

Tarallo has rehearsed with an accompanying band and background singers for the lastmonth and will perform songs he believes the audience will be able to dance to.

“I will be doing songs like ‘Chandelier’ and ‘Bang Bang,’ which are more contemporary,” Tarallo said. “People are really jamming to (them) right now.”

Tarallo said the process of organizing his concert has been stressful, but his love of performing has made his efforts worth it. He coordinated the concert himself and said making his own decisions further motivated him to continue planning his show.

“Something I realize is that no one is going to make something happen for you,” Tarallo said. “If you want something to get done, you have to make it happen yourself.”

Tarallo said he views “Top Secret” as a showcase of the work he’s done while at SU.

“It’s been really great to be a part of the music and performing and artistic community (at SU) for so many reasons,” Tarallo said. “I mean, self-expression is something that I value very much, and to see how other people do that and to be able to do that yourself and to see how different it can be for every person, it’s just something that fascinates me.”

In addition to self-expression, Tarallo said he looks forward to his performance simply because he loves to entertain. He hopes his performance will provide an outlet for the audience to escape their daily lives and to relax.

Tarallo is also a member of the all-male SU a cappella group, Otto Tunes. The group, including Tarallo, will be the opening act of his show.

Fellow Otto Tunes member Alex Russell Ganes, a senior music composition major, said Tarallo’s vocal range and personality define his performances.

“He hits really, really, high notes, but also he’s just a great singer, and that trumps everything,” Ganes said. “He’s charismatic. Very outgoing, very friendly. I think that will translate well.”

Ganes will play the bass at Tarallo’s performance. Two guitarists, a keyboardist, a drummer and three backing vocalists will also accompany Tarallo.

Bryana Greer, a sophomore psychology major, said her experience rehearsing with Tarallo was positive because of his talent and creativity.

“He really makes the songs his own, and he’s really fun to listen to because he has this really out of this world voice that makes anything sound good,” Greer said.

Tarallo’s high singing voice, which he said is not like most male voices, brings him the most satisfaction while singing and performing. His favorite part about his vocal skills is his ability to “screlt,” which is a screamed belt.

As a seasoned entertainer, Tarallo said he puts more emphasis on the audience than himself. But he added that he has one request for his audience.

“If you’re going to come, make sure that you have a great time and dance,” Tarallo said. “I just want people to have a good time and have fun.”