Shafer: Hunt exploring academic options while recovering from fractured fibula

As much as the players don’t like to hear it, Scott Shafer said, academic opportunities open up when they’re out with injuries.

Terrel Hunt is experiencing that very situation as he sits out with a fractured fibula that he suffered in Syracuse’s 28-6 loss to Louisville on Oct. 3 and will sideline him for another 2-4 weeks. Hunt, a fourth-year quarterback who has one more year of eligibility, is on pace to graduate ahead of time, Shafer said at his weekly Thursday morning press conference, and is beginning to explore his academic options while he waits to return to the field.

“I think Terrel’s in that frustration mode right now,” the SU head coach said. “But what we’ve tried to do is turn the page forward and say, ‘OK, you’re going to have a little bit of extra time here,’ because the rehab you can do for a broken bone is limited.”

The quarterback can work toward a second degree or an SU master’s program, Shafer said, and has looked into speaking with sports management professor Rick Burton to “look at different things in his life outside of football.”

“… (It’s) a healthy way of taking on a down moment and looking at the silver lining,” Shafer said. “‘Hey, I could spend some time with some very professional people that can give me guidance for the rest of my life’ … That’s part of the learning environment you get to take advantage of by being a football player.”

Anybody who’s ever played football, Shafer added, has dealt with injuries and it’s a part of the game.

When his players are unable to participate, he reminds them that they’re students too. And Hunt’s starting to make more out of an unfortunate situation.

“You try to adjust to the elements as best you can and try to set a mindset forward as opposed to looking back or just waiting to get better,” Shafer said. “That’s no way. You’ve got to try to move forward with everything you do and Terrel’s fought with that a bit this week. I know he has.

“But he’ll get through it because he’s a strong young man.”