Sex & health

Silvarole: Quality of sexual health resources doesn’t mirror students’ knowledge about sex

Syracuse University: No. 1 in partying, No. 9 in sexual health. Makes a great headline, doesn’t it?

I’ll admit, ninth out of 140 on Trojan’s list of college campuses with the best sexual health isn’t too shabby. It’s pretty good, actually. But why have we jumped up from last year’s ranking – 16 – and how does that affect us as the party-going, safe-sex-having student population we apparently are?

SU may be in the top 10 for sexual health resources on Trojan Condom’s 2014 Sexual Health Report Card, but that doesn’t mean we actually live up to that standard. Our school may have top resources, but that doesn’t guarantee all students know about them or actively choose to utilize them.

In Trojan’s rankings methodology section of the report card, it claimed students don’t always make use of the protection they have at their (finger)tips: “Trojan Brand Condoms’ recent study finds only 41 percent of college-aged adults report always using a condom,” the report card stated.

Trojan conducted its research for the rankings via student health center representatives. Trojan asked them about what resources were available to students, their hours of operation, contraceptive availability and cost and sexual assault resources, according to the report card’s rankings methodology section.

But the thing is, Trojan didn’t talk to students. The organization didn’t ask what resources they need, what resources they use or what they actually do when it comes down to getting down. Or if Trojan did, it wasn’t made clear. The “student health center representatives” were surveyed, and the “student health centers” are what was ranked, not students’ actual sexual activity and cautious choices when engaging in intercourse.

On the list, Syracuse fell behind eight other schools, including Columbia University, Brown University, University of Michigan and Oregon State University, which claimed the top spot according to the report card.

Oregon State University’s student newspaper, The Daily Barometer, features a sex Q&A column called “Dr. Sex,” where human sexuality professor Kathy Greaves answers students sex and relationship questions, according to a Jan. 7 article on The Barometer’s website.

The column has been listed as one of the reasons why Oregon State University won the top spot, according to an Oct. 20 Huffington Post article. The Daily Orange’s sex and health column apparently doesn’t beat “Dr. Sex.” Sorry, guys.

Whether we were ranked ninth or 90th, it isn’t the spot on the list that matters. It’s what you choose to do with the resources that got us on that list to determine your own sexual well-being. Make use of the free condoms from Health Services, get help from a member of the Sexual and Relationship Violence Team if you’re in an unsafe relationship or read up on SU’s health services website about the many ways you can prevent pregnancy and protect yourself from sexually transmitted infections.

While another top 10 ranking is always fodder for discussion, it doesn’t actually do much for you. The Princeton Review’s ranking implies we’re really only here to party, and although some students might agree, I’m going to guess a greater majority doesn’t.

Sexual health shouldn’t come ninth to partying. If anything, they should be evenly ranked. Only you as an individual can guarantee your own sexual safety, and that’s where these No. 9 resources are here to help. But it’s entirely up to you to make use of them. Trojan’s ranking doesn’t mean we have to put safe sex ninth. Change the headlines — put your sexual health first.

Georgie Silvarole is a sophomore newspaper and online journalism major. Her column appears weekly. You can reach her at [email protected] or on Twitter at @gsilvarole.