From the Runway

Sophomore mixes hip-hop, high end fashion in wardrobe

Drawing inspiration from hip-hop music, sophomore political science major Sean Boren combines high fashion and street fashion, adding a unique personality to his style. Scoring items from both fast fashion retailers and boutiques, Boren knows how to keep up with runway trends while on a student’s budget. Boren takes The Daily Orange to South Campus to share his closet must-haves, fashion favorites and style tips.

The Daily Orange: Who are your favorite designer brands at the moment?

Sean Boren: Givenchy, Maison Martin Margiela, En Noir, Balmain and Balenciaga.

The D.O.: How would you describe your style?

S.B.: Edgy, modern and classy. I would say it’s a mix between high-end and streetwear.

The D.O.: Who is your style icon?

S.B.: I know this sounds cliche, but Kanye West. He’s the reason I started getting into fashion. I have always been into hip-hop and would see the way designers influenced his music and (the way) his music influences the way he dresses. Kanye does a really good job of incorporating street style with high fashion, so his clothing looks like his music sounds.

The D.O.: What do you like most about fashion?

S.B.: I like the fact that it is constantly changing. I never get bored. I also like that the highest end designers inspire fast fashion retailers, like Zara and H&M, to put their twist on certain trends. I obviously can’t afford all of the designer looks I see, but I am able to wear similar items because of those companies.

The D.O.: How has your style changed over the years?

S.B.: I went from wearing more simple pieces, being as basic as possible, to being more adventurous. I experiment more and care less about what other people will think. If I like it, I wear it — it’s as simple as that. I like to set trends. I am also much more into all-over prints and layering.

The D.O.: What do you look for when you buy your clothes?

S.B.: I look for items that have originality. Obviously you need your basics, but I like getting items that no one else will have. That way, an outfit can mean so much more.

The D.O.: How do you go about choosing an outfit in the morning?

S.B.: Well first, I check the weather. Then, I always start with pants — light versus dark and jeans versus joggers. If I decide to wear light pants, then I’ll accent that with a dark top in either navy, black or dark grey, usually. If I wear darker pants, I’ll freshen it up with a white or light grey shirt. Shoes always depend on the mood I’m in.

The D.O.: Seeing as how we live in Syracuse, how do you manage to look good in freezing temperatures?

S.B.: It’s all about the jacket. I bought one that will look good with most of my clothing, so it’s not just something that you take on and off, but a nice addition to your outfit as well. It also comes down to layering as much as possible. I will wear a T-shirt, then add a hoodie with maybe a cool printed hood that stands out and then put a bomber jacket on top. It keeps you really warm and it also makes simple pieces look more styled. Also, accessories mean a lot more. I will wear different colored beanies or accent with a scarf.

The D.O.: I see you have a very systematic way of keeping your clothes. Do you have any tips on how to organize a closet?

S.B.: I would say organize it by type. I put all my long sleeved shirts together, then my short sleeves, then my hoodies and so on. Keep it grouped — it makes it way easier to find in the morning.

The D.O.: What are some wardrobe must-haves for guys?

S.B.: Plaid shirts, short-sleeved button-ups, normal t-shirts but with interesting detail like a fancy hem, joggers — they are starting to come back in, and I think they’re really sick — a hoodie, a bomber jacket and, although I’m not big on accessories, a watch can be a nice asset.