Tattoo Tuesday

Tattoo Tuesday: Jen Corletta & Emma Reed

Doris Huang | Staff photographer

(From left) Emma Reed and Jen Corletta didn't know that they would be best friends when they moved into Day Hall freshman year. The roommates decided to spontaneously get tattoos of their dorm room number on their inner lips.

When Jen Corletta and Emma Reed moved into Day Hall on the first day of their freshman year in college, they didn’t know that the number 537 would become so special to them.

The two of them, now seniors, have been inseparable for the past four years.

“I didn’t come to college expecting to be best friends with my roommate,” Corletta said. ”Our room became the hangout room, and it evolved as our group of friends was referred to by our room number.”

Their room number 537 is tattooed on the inside of their lower lips. They spontaneously decided to get the tattoos in March of their freshman year.

“If I had to tag Chuck’s, it would be with 537,” Corletta said, laughing.

Corletta, a public relations major, and Reed, a communications design major, describe themselves as opposites.

”Jen’s more enthusiastic, more friendly. I’m more laid back,” Reed said.

The women are also physically opposite — Reed is 6 feet tall, while Corletta stands at only 5 feet, 2 inches.

The two share food, finish each other’s sentences and do everything together — they even went abroad to London together last spring.

Although they said they get into the occasional argument after having lived together, the girls are closer than ever.

“Girls are very drama oriented, and we’re just not like that at all,” Corletta said. “We’re very much on the same page.”

Corletta said lip tattoos are only supposed to last for about six months to a year. However, they both have had the tattoos for more than two years now, and neither of their tattoos has faded.

Although the two seniors avoid the dreaded “G” word, Corletta said they could see themselves living together post-graduation.

They said that although their group of friends is going to have a tough time being apart after graduation, they’re making the rest of their time at Syracuse University count.

“I don’t think I’ll ever find another roommate that I’ll be so compatible with,” Reed said.