Thirsty Thursday

Thirsty Thursday: Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager

Victoria Krog | Staff Photographer

The Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager’s all-malt brewing process gives the beer an earthy taste. It has a dark amber color and hints of honey and brown sugar flavors.

One of my favorite memories took place in London when my mom and dad came to visit while I was studying abroad. A day spent doing all the classic touristy things wiped us out, and all we could think to do was take a seat at the nearest pub. We grabbed three beers and drank them outside as the mid-April sun warmed our backs.

For whatever reason, the malt-like, rich taste of the Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager brought back memories of this day with my parents. It could be the almost creamy texture that is reminiscent of London Pride, London’s locally brewed beer, that reminded me of this snapshot in time. Or maybe my beer that day on Baker Street was the same rich, amber color of this beer.

The Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager is a decidedly enjoyable brew that strays from the normal lager flavor profile. Many pale lagers typically exemplify light, crisp and clean flavors; Miller Light, Pilsner Urquell and Landshark Lager are all examples of pale lagers.

On the other hand, this darkened lager utilizes an all-malt brewing process that makes it taste rich and earthy. The viscosity in this beer is also higher than a classic lager. It sits somewhat heavily in your mouth and has a cream-like texture.

Although dark for a classic lager, it is a medium bodied beer overall. Once you get past the foamy, cream-colored head that forms when pouring the beer into a glass, a faintly bitter aftertaste tickles your tongue. Slight hints of honey or brown sugar are also apparent in this smooth beer.

I’m not sure whether I liked this beer for its flavor profile or for the nostalgia it brought up, but either way, I thoroughly enjoyed this unusual beer and would recommend it to anyone looking to mix up his or her refrigerator line-up.