Campus Activism

40 students spend night in Crouse-Hinds Hall to protest diversity and transparency issues

Renee Zhou | Asst. Photo Editor

About 40 students spent Monday night in Crouse-Hinds Hall. The students marched to the building following the Diversity and Transparency Rally in order to deliver a document of grievances and demands to Syracuse University administration.

So far this semester, Syracuse University students have protested scholarship cuts, campaigned for an Advocacy Center and attended campus forums. At the end of each of these events, administrators spoke and the students in attendance went home.

On Monday afternoon, more than 100 students rallied for diversity and transparency, and eventually talked with administrators.

But this time, they didn’t go home.

Instead, about 40 students will spend the night in Crouse-Hinds Hall, where they plan on staying until Thursday, or possibly later.

The sit-in immediately followed the Diversity and Transparency Rally outside of Hendricks Chapel, which was organized by THE General Body, a coalition of about 50 student organizations on campus. The rally focused on the lack of transparency in the administration in relation to decisions about the budget and about campus services. Many who attended the rally then marched to Crouse-Hinds — home to Chancellor Kent Syverud’s office, the Office of Admissions and classrooms — to deliver a document with grievances and demands to administrators.

Students, faculty and staff gathered near the front of Hendricks Chapel beginning at 3:30 p.m. The theme of the rally was unity, and attendees chanted in unison between each speaker.

“This institution is going backwards,” African American Studies Professor Linda Carty said to the crowd. “We have to be clear that what we want is to be heard.”

Dan Hernandez, Student Association speaker of the assembly, added that it’s important that the administration knows the problems of the student body and what they want changed.

“Our time for change is now,” Hernandez said.

At about 4:30 p.m., more than 50 rally-goers marched down to Crouse-Hinds Hall, carrying signs and chanting along the way, to deliver a document of grievances and demands to administrators.

But when they arrived, students were met with locked doors. Kevin Quinn, senior vice president for public affairs, Dan French, general counsel for SU, and John Sardino, associate chief of the Department of Public Safety, were waiting for students at the main entrance.

French told the group that senior administrators would be willing to meet with students in the Schine Student Center, where there would be space for all of the protesters. But the students declined.

“I think that since we’re here right now, we’re not going to go to Schine,” one protester said.

The group remained outside while French and Quinn told the group that they wouldn’t be allowed to meet in Crouse-Hinds. Protestors asked to be let inside so they could meet with administrators on the sixth floor.

“Yeah, we’re not going to do that,” French said.

At about 5 p.m., rally-goers found a way inside through a back entrance, and gathered in the lobby of the building. Students sat down on the lower level of Crouse-Hinds, and filled the cubicles along the stairway. Signs were draped over the railing that read, “Is this a school or a corporation?” and “In unity there is strength.” Some students even began making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the group.

Around 5:15 p.m., about 20 students went into a classroom to meet with a group of administrators about the document of grievances and demands. Some of the administrators in the small group meeting were:

─ Vice Chancellor and Provost Eric Spina

─ Dean of Student Affairs Rebecca Reed Kantrowitz

─ Director of Athletics Daryl Gross

─ General Counsel for SU Dan French

─ Senior Vice President for Public Affairs Kevin Quinn

─ Department of Public Safety Associate Chief John Sardino

Syverud was not in attendance, as he was in New York City on Monday. Shortly after the protesters arrived at Crouse-Hinds, Quinn said the administration was aware of the rally but was not sure what would happen after the rally.

As some students and administrators discussed the document and what the next steps would be, many protesters made plans for an extended stay in Crouse-Hinds.

Yanira Rodriguez, one of the rally organizers, said the plan was to stay in the building until Thursday, when the Board of Trustees would meet and vote on a new mission and vision statement. In addition, the protesters hope to hear from Syverud.

“We’re not going away until we get a public statement from the chancellor,” Rodriguez said.

In addition to the grievance document, Rodriguez said there is an action plan with dates of implementation. The group wants the chancellor to acknowledge that plan, she added.

When the meeting finally broke up at about 7 p.m., students established that they would stay the night, and another meeting with the administration would be scheduled for this week, possibly Tuesday. Before students could officially set up for the evening, officials from DPS and fire safety laid out rules for spending the night in the building.

DPS Chief Tony Callisto told students that the fire chief said the lobby and surrounding cubicles in Crouse-Hinds could accommodate 40 people, and the protestors would be able to stay. He said they were notifying the 911 call center that people were occupying the building, so if a fire alarm went off, they’d be allowed back in. In addition, there would be DPS staff in the building throughout the evening.

“We want to make this a safe and comfortable place for you guys,” Callisto said, adding that students would not be allowed to leave and come back and would need to show an SU ID in order to stay.

Students made plans for the evening that included designated study time, and time to plan out the next steps for meeting with administrators. As the day drew to a close, Farrell Brenner, one of the rally organizers, said the rally and sit-in were successful, but there is still a long way to go.

“We’re going to get specifics down tonight, and hopefully we’ll be able to work with administration to make this campus more transparent,” she said.

For now, Crouse-Hinds Hall will remain home to about 40 protesters.