Men's basketball

Beat writers expect Syracuse to roll past Loyola in Carrier Dome

Sam Maller | Staff Photographer

Forwards Rakeem Christmas and Michael Gbinije are back in action as Syracuse plays Loyola (Maryland) in the Carrier Dome on Tuesday night.

Phil D’Abbraccio (3-1): Syracuse 73, Loyola 42
These O’s ain’t Loyol
The Greyhounds are shooting under 33 percent from both the floor and 3-point range. A team coming off a sub-30 percent shooting performance in a 41-point loss at Butler doesn’t stand much of a chance against Syracuse’s lanky defense. After a scrappy bounce-back victory over Iowa in the 2K Classic, the Orange has no problem with this lower-level conference competition. The Greyhounds barely manage to sneak out of the Carrier Dome and scamper down the block before it gets too ugly.

Jesse Dougherty (4-0): Syracuse 74, Loyola 45
Something to be thankful for
With the football team reeling to a finish and this team dropping out of the Top 25 for the first time in a long time, Syracuse fans need something to talk about at the Thanksgiving dinner table. It’s not much, but a big win over Loyola is a temporary fix for spotty guard play and foul trouble in the frontcourt.

Jacob Klinger (3-1): Syracuse 81, Loyola 65
Get on the bus
The Orange gets back to home comforts in non-power nonconference play and can simply beat Loyola in a series of runouts. The visitors aren’t likely to shoot their way over the SU zone. Loyola is making a modest 5.5 3s per game. Whoever’s watching gets to see SU send the Greyhounds packing.