Columns

Cole: Science fiction can bring awareness to real events

The European Space Agency’s Rosetta Space Probe became the first ever device to land on a comet. The project is an attempt to further understand the creation of life on earth by analyzing comets, which are known to contain the essential elements for creating amino acids.

Leading up the Rosetta’s landing last week, the ESA partnered with Platige Image to create a fact-based, science fiction-like short film meant to draw awareness to the project.

This ties into a bigger debate — the debate over the purpose of using sci-fi films to spread awareness about current issues. In the end, if the purpose is to generate awareness for something, any downsides of dramatizing an event are outweighed by the number of people it can interest who might have never cared before.

In an interview with members of the film production crew, one member’s words stuck out to me regarding this debate. He said, “I’m very surprised you need something like this at all now. Mankind sends a probe into space to catch a comet and land on it. And we need a great director, film and actors to convince people it’s interesting.”

It is disheartening to think about people being interested in the mission solely after seeing its promotional film. However, it doesn’t matter.

More scientists have begun to use science fiction to further convey their points. Critics of this approach say that the content may seem outlandish and far-fetched, thus giving the opposition an excuse to disregard the core message and miss the point.

Take climate change for example. In a July 29 New York Times opinion piece, George Marshall, founder of the Climate Outreach Information Network, argued that climate fiction, an emerging genre commonly referred to as cli-fi, will “reinforce existing views rather than shift them.” This is a generalization and to assume this statement to be absolute would be a mistake.

This way of thinking assumes that people already have firm stances on environmental issues. Some certainly do, but for many, apathy prevails. Science fiction has the power to spur curiosity through special effects, apocalyptic plot lines and dramatization in a way much different from reading through scientific reports. It depends on the person, but surely the addition of sci-fi will not deter anybody who already believes in issues such as climate change or the significance of space exploration.

In the case of the Rosetta mission, the short film “Ambition” is perhaps the best example of sci-fi being used to promote a cause yet. Of course, it features incredible special effects, but what sets it apart is that it is focused, working to actually explain the Rosetta mission to the viewer. As the ESA describes it, the film “turns science fiction into science fact.” By not making any extravagant predictions, “Ambition” diverts attention from what may or may not happen back to what is happening right now and instead raises awareness for the mission. In this regard, the film is a success. Any sci-fi film that intends to teach its viewer something should follow suit.

Azor Cole is a junior public relations major and geography minor. His column appears weekly. He can be reached at [email protected].