Letters the Editor

Continuation of sit-in could lead to confrontation

THE General Body has made an important contribution to Syracuse University. It reminds us the work to insure diversity and to meet the needs of students requires vigilance. This time reminds me of my participation in the student movement of the ‘60s which taught me that it’s a lifelong endeavor to work for justice.

The move-in at Crouse-Hinds Hall has been effective in insisting that consideration be given to the “demands,” a word I like less the older I get. I’ve seen little accomplished by “demanding.” But I’ve seen amazing things happen when people come together to listen. I think Chancellor Kent Syverud and the THE General Body have done that.

At the outset sit-ins are effective in gaining the attention of the community followed by a period in which they are less so. Many student ideas have been embraced by the chancellor. He has apologized and is instituting new initiatives. The challenge is to create a plan to moving forward that addresses issues that remain and promotes the work of creating substantive change.

If the encampment continues, I am concerned it will inevitably lead to confrontation, the cousin of “demands” and just as ineffective. Confrontation leads to “glory moments” and perhaps a few concessions. But it destroys continued dialogue and the ongoing education essential to change institutions and individuals alike.

There is a model from the ‘60s to consider now. It was called the “Free University.” It was a place where justice issues were central, where teachers were students and students were teachers. It considered topics that did not have a place in the curriculum. Anyone could participate and areas of study from it are now curricular offerings at Syracuse.

My hope is we can now to move from the encampment to a 21st century Free University. A university is a privileged place where protections allow all ideas to come forward. We enjoy this privilege with the expectation that solutions will be rooted in dialogue, research and respect for one another. A new Free University might be that place, and I for one will look forward to being both student and teacher.

Tom Walsh
Syracuse University
Special Counsel to the Chancellor