Document filed in Boeheim defamation case mentions ‘parties’ pursuit of possible resolution’

Several court proceedings in a defamation lawsuit against Jim Boeheim and Syracuse University have been delayed partly to “facilitate the parties’ pursuit of possible resolution,” according to a document recently filed in the case.

The order is dated Wednesday and postpones discovery and motions from being filed. It also extends SU and Boeheim’s deadline to submit an answer to the lawsuit to Dec. 15. The document states the proceedings are being delayed “in light of the interests of the parties in resolving the issues among them.”

Mariann Wang, an attorney for the two men suing Boeheim and SU, Bobby Davis and Mike Lang, declined to discuss the document. SU Senior Vice President for Public Affairs Kevin Quinn did not immediately return a phone call and email on Thursday afternoon. Helen Cantwell, SU’s lawyer, also did not return a phone call.

Davis and Lang sued SU and Boeheim, the head men’s basketball coach, in December 2011 for defamation over his comments that the two were liars who were out to get money. New York state’s high court reversed two previous decisions throwing out the lawsuit on Oct. 21.

The two men allege they were sexually abused by Bernie Fine, a former associate head men’s basketball coach. SU fired Fine on Nov. 27, 2011. He has denied all wrongdoing and was not charged following an almost yearlong federal investigation.