No. 22 Syracuse breezes past East Carolina in Junkanoo Jam semifinals

Syracuse came into the 2014-2015 season with five players that SU head coach Quentin Hillsman said could play the point guard position.

Through four games, it’s clear that Alexis Peterson has set herself apart from the rest.

The sophomore tied her career-high — which she set in the season opener on Nov. 16 — with 19 points and led No. 22 Syracuse (4-0) to a 69-58 win over East Carolina (5-1) in the semifinals of the Junkanoo Jam in Freeport, Bahamas on Thursday.

The Orange now advances to play No. 1 South Carolina in the finals on Friday.

After the Pirates jumped out to an early 6-2 lead, Syracuse responded with a 14-0 run and never looked back. East Carolina wouldn’t get any closer than eight points, and the Orange extend its lead to as many as 25.

With the Orange leading 8-6, Cornelia Fondren dumped the ball off as the team rushed up the court to Brianna Bulter who canned a long 3-pointer to extend the lead to five. As soon as the Pirates inbounded the ball, Alexis Peterson stole it and scored an uncontested layup to give the Orange more separation.

When the Pirates closed the gap to 54-41 with 4:11 left, it was Peterson that put the nail in the coffin. She hit a jumper with 3:27 left, then had a steal and another fastbreak layup on the next possession that put SU up 17 with just 3:11 to play.

Briana Day also chipped in 13 points and 10 rebounds, and Butler had 13 while connecting on three of Syracuse’s 10 3-pointers on the afternoon.    

compiled by Sam Blum, asst. copy editor, [email protected]