Letters to the Editor

Students should attend panel, screening on money in politics

Before writing this article, I asked my roommate what it would take for him, someone who admittedly hates politics, to take an interest in the political system. His response: nothing. To him, there are so many things wrong with our government that it is upsetting just to talk about. To be honest, I can’t blame him. I suspect many of you feel the same way.

If, as my roommate does, you find government to be too disheartening to think about, then I would like you to consider this: “Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn’t mean politics won’t take an interest in you.” (Pericles) I would ask you to consider that every single day, decisions are made for you — whether you know it or not, whether you care or not. And a helpful hint: you probably should care.

Regardless of your background or your political affiliation it is hard to deny that beyond the finger pointing there is something deeply and systemically wrong with our government. We have seen a clear change in direction. Our leaders no longer vote for children, but for checks. Money talks… so what does that make us? I’ll let you finish the sentence.

Now, I ask you think about the things you really care about, the things that make you angry or upset. It could be civil rights, immigration reform, ISIS, Ebola, the environment or your student loans. That’s one that should strike a chord with many of us. It’s upsetting to think we cannot control these things, but according to the Princeton Review, that is reality. Democracy is losing. America is essentially governed by a rich and powerful few.

Now, think again about those things you care about. Do you want to be heard? Do you want to decide your future? I hope that you would all answer that with an overwhelming yes. If you want to be heard, or simply learn more about our government come out on Nov. 19 at 7 p.m. to Eggers 220. The Student Leadership Institute, Democracy Matters, NYPIRG and Public Citizen will be holding a showing of “Pay 2 Play,” a film detailing the role of money in politics. There will also be a panel of experts to share their opinions and answer your questions. Come out, and find your voice.

Ryan Brinkerhoff
Economics and Policy Studies major
Class of 2017