Election 2014

SU faculty, staff donate more to political campaigns, organizations than in past midterm elections

Syracuse University faculty and staff members donated more than $25,000 to political campaigns and organizations this election season — an increase from past midterm elections.

In 2014, people who list SU as their primary employer have donated a total of $27,220 to political campaigns and organizations, according to data from Syracuse.com/The Post-Standard and OpenSecrets.org. Democrats have received $16,095 in 56 separate donations for an average donation of $287.41. Republicans have received $11,125 in 18 separate donations for an average donation of $618.06. The average SU donation in 2014 has been $367.84.

Compared to the midterm election in 2010, SU faculty and staff donated $660 more this election year. In 2010, SU faculty and staff members gave $26,560 in total donations with an average donation of $374.08. In 2006, SU faculty and staff members gave $12,741 with an average donation of $344.35.

Douglas Wolf, a public administration and international affairs professor in the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, gave $250 to Rep. Dan Maffei (D-New York) because he personally knows Maffei, he said.

“When a candidate that I know personally, and with whom I agree on a number of important substantive issues, calls me personally and makes a direct appeal for financial support, I’m much more likely to respond with support, in comparison to a blind call from an individual or a blanket organization,” Wolf said.

Wolf said growing inequality and the concentration of wealth and the influence of “big money” on politics and governance are important issues when deciding who to give money to.

“I guess it’s ironic that I give money because I object to the influence of money in politics,” he said. Wolf said in total he has donated less this year than in 2008 and 2012, which were both presidential elections.

The race between Maffei and Republican challenger John Katko, a former federal prosecutor, has received $18,770 in total funds from SU faculty and staff.

Maffei, the incumbent, has received more money from SU faculty than Katko. Maffei received $11,895 from 51 separate donations, which averaged to $223.24 per donation. SU faculty and staff members have given $6,875 to the Katko campaign in 13 separate donations for a $528.85 average.

Catherine Bertini, a public administration and international affairs professor in the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, said she has participated in elections since she was 13 years old and said her first campaign financial contribution was as a college senior when she gave $20 to a U.S. Senate candidate.

“At the time it was a lot of money to me but I was very proud to do it,” she said.

Bertini donated $1,000 to Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Mississippi), who first took office in 1978 and is now seeking a seventh term as a U.S. Senator. Bertini said she has known Cochran for more than 30 years and said her contribution to him was during the Republican primary in Mississippi, which Cochran won in a runoff election.

The S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, School of Education and School of Architecture are the only schools to not have an employee donate money. Outside of political candidates, SU employees have given money to five political organizations, including ActBlue, the Democratic National Committee Services Corp. and the National Draft Ben Carson for President Committee.

Carl Schramm, who serves as an University Professor, also said close ties played a role in determining who he was going to give money to. Schramm donated $2,500 to Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wisconsin) and said he’s been friends with Ryan for many years.

“I know he shares my concerns in particular over the failure of the economy to produce good jobs for young college graduates and for minorities, especially young black men,” Schramm said.

Schramm said the key for his decision-making comes from concerns with the economy and “containing what I view as the unconstitutional overreach of the federal government.”

Melvin Stith, dean emeritus of the Martin J. Whitman School of Management, Michael Stocker, a professor of ethics and political philosophy and Schramm are tied for the largest single donation in 2014. Stith donated $2,500 to ActBlue, a democratic political organization, Stocker donated $2,500 to Off the Sidelines, another democratic organization and Schramm donated the same amount to Paul Ryan.

David Driesen, an University Professor at the College of Law, gave $500 to Maffei in 2014 and said he did so because of personal ties and because Maffei supports infrastructure spending.

Maffei has received less than half of the amount of donations from SU faculty and staff than he received in the 2012 election cycle. During the 2012 election cycle, Maffei received $21,150 from SU employees compared to the $11,895 this year.

This is Maffei’s fifth time as the Democratic nominee for the House of Representatives in New York’s 24th district. In 2006, a midterm election, he lost to incumbent James Walsh, despite receiving $6,050 compared to Walsh’s $2,750 from SU faculty and staff, according to OpenSecrets.org. In 2010, another midterm election, Maffei lost to Republican Ann Marie Buerkle, but received $9,550 in donations from SU employees compared to Buerkle’s $2,750.

Both Driesen and Thomas Fondy, a biology professor, said they don’t support candidates who think the government should do nothing.

“We need someone who believes in adequate government,” Driesen said.

“I support Dan Maffei because he actually is trying to advance government doing stuff for people,” Fondy said.

Fondy has given $5,200 to Maffei throughout this election cycle — the maximum amount one individual can give to any single candidate. Fondy also gave $1,000 to Aaron Woolf, who is the Democratic candidate for the House of Representatives in New York’s 21st district.

Fondy said it’s important for citizens to be politically engaged and support candidates that “actually do work.”

“People need to have government that represents them and works for them and I’m trying to support that,“ he said.