Campus Activism

Syracuse University officials deliver copies of student code of conduct to protesters in Crouse-Hinds

Margaret Lin | Photo Editor

Gabe Nugent, associate general counsel for SU, and Bea Gonzalez, University College dean, talk with protesters on Nov. 7 about rules for staying over the weekend. Protesters are now in their second weekend of the sit-in.

Syracuse University officials delivered copies of the student code of conduct and the non-disruption policy on Friday night to protesters remaining in Crouse-Hinds Hall.

Envelopes were individually labeled with the names and ID numbers of protesters, said Ben Kuebrich, an organizer of the ongoing sit-in at Crouse-Hinds.

Kevin Quinn, senior vice president for public affairs at SU, said in an email that the 23 students who remained in the building after it officially closed on Friday were given copies of both documents. In the code of conduct, there were three items highlighted that may be utilized in enforcement, Quinn said.

A violation of any policies in the student code of conduct typically triggers action by judicial affairs. The three policies highlighted were:

• Unauthorized entry, use, or occupation of University facilities that are locked, closed, or otherwise restricted as to use.
  • Failure to comply with the lawful directives of University officials who are performing the duties of their office, especially as they are related to the maintenance of safety or security.
  • Violation of any federal, state, or local law which has a negative impact on the well-being of Syracuse University or its individual members.

There’s also a cumulative effect for violating policies in the code of conduct multiple times. For example, if SU directed someone to leave a building multiple times and that person refuses multiple times, each time the person declines theoretically triggers another violation.

The sit-in being held by members of THE General Body is in its 13th day. THE General Body is a coalition of student organizations that has occupied the lobby of Crouse-Hinds since Nov. 3 following the Diversity and Transparency Rally. On Wednesday night, the administration sent out its final response to the group’s grievances and demands document as part of an email to the campus community.

But protesters have remained in the building for the second weekend in a row. Like last weekend, the building locked at 5 p.m. on Friday and will not re-open until Monday morning. Students are allowed to leave the building but cannot re-enter until Monday morning. Food deliveries are allowed at two designated times each day.

In its Nov. 12 response to the demands document, the administration said that participation in the occupation of Crouse-Hinds will not result in sanctions through the Code of Student Conduct or other disciplinary policies. The document also says that “going forward, any persons whose activities are found to violate policies governing the conduct of members of the University community will be subject to the sanctions appropriate to the conduct in question.” Quinn was not able to comment on whether protesters remaining in the building following the university’s final response will face sanctions.

Kuebrich, one of the sit-in organizers, said he personally doesn’t think it’s that important that the conduct policy was delivered. Kuebrich said Saturday morning that protesters had recycled most of the copies of the document.

In the meantime, Kuebrich said he was catching up on schoolwork, and that THE General Body would regroup later Saturday to talk about the next steps. He said one aspect of that is compiling a list of important items Chancellor Kent Syverud still hasn’t addressed.