Tattoo Tuesday

Tattoo Tuesday: Chris Makowski

Doris Huang | Staff Photographer

chris makowski, a self-described lover of the outdoors got the tree of life tattooed on his right shoulder. The tree’s roots remind Makowski to hold on to where he came from.

Chris Makowski’s tattoo is a daily reminder of how he should live his life: with strength, hope and willingness to grow as a person.

Makowski, a senior health and physical education major and Syracuse University men’s soccer team defender, stresses the importance of learning from mistakes and staying true to oneself every day.

The thick, bright roots at the bottom of the tree of life, which is located on his right bicep, symbolize the idea of holding on to where one came from.

“College is a place to find out who you are. But remembering where you came from and remembering who you are as a person is really important,” Makowski said.

His tattoo also incorporates all four seasons because seasons come and go, as do many life events.

“Seasons don’t last forever and decisions don’t last forever. They don’t make you who you are,” Makowski said.

Makowski describes himself as a lover of the outdoors, which is another reason why he chose to get the tree.

Although there was not a particular decision or event that triggered Makowski to get the tattoo, he said it is a reminder to appreciate where he’s from and to reflect on the decisions he’s made.

“Tattoos can be a way to draw back on the small things,” Makowski said.

Makowski plans on adding on to the tattoo to give it a more worldly perspective.

“They’re addicting,” he said, laughing. “Once you get one, you want to get more.”

He said he wants to add water with animals below the roots of the tree, as well as an eagle on top of the tree.

“I stray away from getting tattoos with words because I want to leave them up to interpretation for other people,” Makowski said.

As graduation nears, Makowski has found comfort in his tattoo and in his family.

“With senior year, it’s easy to stress out about what I’m going to do after school,” Makowski said. “My tattoo has been a reminder to not stress out about things.”