Culture

Winter is coming: Beanies provide warmth, trendy look for cold weather

Margaret Lin | Photo editor

Models: Alexa Roberts and Billy Cvecko

Brace yourselves, Syracuse. The cold weather is back. Even though sandals are being traded in for winter boots, style doesn’t have to be sacrificed. Pulp has you covered on how to stay warm and look trendy with a crucial winter accessory — beanies.

Beanie Type No. 1: Fluff ball

Beanies with a fluffy pompom at the top — appropriately named ball top beanies —are the perfect winter accessory. Hats use a variety of different pompom styles, including fur (or faux fur), yarn and wool, and typically come in a thick knit stitch, keeping your ears warm and your outfit trendy.

111814_P_Beanies5_MargaretLin_PE111814_P_Beanies_MargaretLin_PE

How to style it:

Girls: Wear a ball top beanie with a maroon, lilac, olive or blush knit oversized sweater, leather leggings and black booties.

Guys: Style with a dark wash jean shirt, black jeans and suede desert boots.

Beanie Type No. 2: Detailed

Add pop to your outfit by wearing an embellished or detailed beanie. Some embellishments include: studs, jewels, crochet flowers and beads.

111814_P_Beanies3_MargaretLin_PE111814_P_Beanies2_MargaretLin_PE

How to style it:

Girls: Avoid bold prints and details to prevent a busy or clashing outfit. Plain colors won’t distract from your beanie.

Guys: Wear monotone colors, like black pants, sweater and shoes, to make the beanie a focal point in your outfit.

Beanie Type No. 3: Plain/basic

The basic beanie comes in all colors and styles. They can be fitted or slouchy and complement a number of different hairstyles. For this winter, wear beanies in colors of the season: oxblood, mauve, orchid, royal blue, cobalt, cognac or mustard. Of course, the traditional black, white and grey are always chic choices.

111814_P_Beanies4_MargaretLin_PE111814_P_Beanies1_MargaretLin_PE

How to style it:

Girls: Wear with a thick patterned scarf, distressed jeans, a moto jacket and Chelsea boots.

Guys: Wear the beanie with a plain T-shirt partnered with a plain or printed coat, joggers and high top sneakers.

—Photos by Margaret Lin, photo editor
—Models: Alexa Roberts and Billy Cvecko