andrew cuomo

Campus Notebook: Dec. 3, 2014

SUNY adopts “Yes Means Yes” policy

The State University of New York system has adopted a “Yes Means Yes” policy, a new definition of sexual consent that requires a clear agreement between partners. The policy is part of a larger effort to reduce sexual violence on college campuses.

The State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry will adopt the policy. The SUNY Board of Trustees announced its adoption of the new policy Tuesday. It will be applied to all 64 of the SUNY campuses.

The new definition says: “Affirmative consent is a clear, unambiguous, knowing, informed and voluntary agreement between all participants to engage in sexual activity. Consent is active, not passive.”

The policy also requires new statewide training for SUNY police and administrators, as well as a statewide public awareness campaign.

The move comes after New York state Gov. Andrew Cuomo ordered the SUNY system to overhaul its existing sexual consent policy in October.

California became the first state in the U.S. to adopt a similar policy, doing so in September for public and private institutions.

Billy Joel T-shirts to go on sale

T-shirts for the Billy Joel concert at the Carrier Dome in March will go on sale Thursday, according to a Dec. 3 Syracuse.com article.

Joel, who will perform on March 20, 2015, is set to perform at the Dome for a record seventh time. The front of the orange T-shirts features the words “Welcome Back,” a piano and the concert date. The number seven on the back of the shirts represents the number of times Joel has performed at the Carrier Dome.

Custom Logo USA is selling the T-shirts for $14.99 each at Sound Garden, located in Armory Square on West Jefferson St., and at the Custom Logo USA showroom, located on State Fair Boulevard, according to the Syracuse.com article. All proceeds from the T-shirt sales will go to Signature Syracuse Music, a non-profit organization that offers music education programs for teenagers.

Tickets for the concert go on sale on Saturday at 9 a.m. for $59.50 and $89.50.

Study spaces to offer extended hours

Beginning Friday, select Syracuse University campus study spaces will be open for extended hours for finals week.

A coalition of various library, academic, resident and student services identified a need for these hours. E.S. Bird Library normally operates on a 24-hour schedule, but during finals week more study spaces with extended hours are needed, according to a SU News release.

Spaces that will remain open 24-hours include the Carnegie Library Reading Room and Computer Cluster, Haven Study Center and Brockway Academic Activities Center. The Goldstein and Schine student centers will be open until 2:30 a.m., and the Lawrinson Penthouse and Room 117 of Sadler Hall will be open until midnight, according to the SU News release.

The coalition chose spaces that are near residence halls and sufficiently furnished to seat around 50–100 people, according to the release. As members of the coalition, the Department of Public Safety will monitor the spaces to ensure a safe environment during late hours.

Extended hours will be held through the end of exams.