Developer suing university asks for court assistance after SU cancels settlement talks

A developer suing Syracuse University for terminating its contract has asked the court to step in and guide settlement talks, saying the university has repeatedly canceled meetings to discuss the lawsuit.

Cameron Hill Construction LLC sued SU in July, about a month after the university terminated the developer’s contract to build a new bookstore and fitness center on University Avenue. SU cited construction delays and inability to secure financing as reasons for ending the project. But Cameron Group says the two parties had a good working relationship and that it has lost approximately $1.5 million on the project.

On Sept. 4, the two parties agreed to a 30-day period to discuss a settlement in the case. Those talks have twice been extended and on Tuesday, John Cherundolo, a lawyer for Cameron Group, asked the court for a third extension. The latest extension would give the two sides until Jan. 9, 2015 to settle.

In a letter sent to Onondaga County Supreme Court Judge Donald Greenwood on Tuesday, Cherundolo said the university canceled two scheduled meetings “virtually at the last moment.” The most recent cancellation was for a meeting that was to be held last Wednesday, according to the letter.

Cherundolo last talked to the university’s lawyer on Friday, when he was told that because Eric Spina stepped down as provost, Chancellor Kent Syverud needed to appoint a representative to attend the negotiations. The university’s lawyer was supposed to contact Cherundolo to set up a time for negotiations but never did, according to the letter.

“At this point I do not know what to do other than to write to the Court and ask for Court guided settlement talks,” Cherundolo wrote in the letter. “I do not believe that there will be a meeting any time soon that would allow the parties to fully discuss the issues in person.”

The bookstore was to be built at 601 University Ave. and Cameron Group had been given a 30-year tax exemption for the project by the city of Syracuse. In June, Senior Vice President for Public Affairs Kevin Quinn said the university was not seeking any other developers and would be resetting the process for the project.