Ducks

Duck: Jesse Dougherty

Asst. Sports Copy Editor | Fall 2013; Asst. Sports Editor | Spring 2014; Sports Editor | Fall 2014

Tony Chao | Art Director

I first walked into the sports office at the fall open house my freshman year, and more than 50 guys wanted the exact same thing I did. I never thought I’d write a story for The Daily Orange, let alone become sports editor. Yet here I am five semesters and 282 bylines later wishing like hell I could start over and do it all again.

To everyone at that open house, all you had to do was show up unannounced the next night.

Mom and dad: You guys will never know how thankful I am for all you’ve done for me. I remember calling you after every read when I was walking back to Brewster as a staff writer. Maybe I’ll start doing that again. Love you guys.

Stephen: You always told me that I’d learn more at The D.O. than I would anywhere else on campus, including any classroom. You’ve really backed that up in journalism and life. Here’s to making up for all the hanging out we didn’t do this past semester. Next meal is on me.

Phil: Once you got out, I puuuuuuuulled you back in. But in all seriousness, I’m really proud of you, man. Like really proud. If any younger guy asks me how to get in house I’ll tell them, “Be like Phil.” You’ve earned that. Now go make the section yours.

Klinger: I probably won’t ever forget you telling me you could make it all the way to Buffalo while you were half asleep at the wheel in Ohio. You didn’t. But a lot of your risks panned out and the section wouldn’t have been the same without your ambition and creativity. Thanks for helping me start and end my time in house. You’re responsible for a lot of my development and there’s a whole crop of kids waiting for the same guidance. I’d say they’re pretty lucky.

Sam: I hope you know that I’m only hard on you because I know you can be great. You’re so close to putting the pieces together and I can’t wait until you do. We’re going to have quite the ride these next three semesters. Tell me if you ever want me to stop annoying you, even though I probably never will.

Trevor: You’ll never beat me one-on-one. Once you accept that, we can have an honest friendship. Sundays weren’t the same without a good singing of “Midnight Train to Georgia.” But then again, is any day? Relish ‘til you drop.

Wilson: Every old Eagle probably really appreciates that we still know their names. You were the first sports editor I saw in action and really brought the whole staff together. I did my best to do the same because I didn’t know a single guy who didn’t like working under you. You’re really the man.

Schneidman: I can tell how badly you want to hit another level. It’s awesome — it’s going to happen and I’ll help any way I can. You’ve earned everything that’s come to you so far but don’t get too antsy about what’s coming next. Just let it happen and enjoy the ride. Your best D.O. days are ahead of you, kid. Thrust to that.

Rest of the sports staff: You guys can do anything you want. All of you. Use the tools and resources provided to you by The D.O. and sprint with them. I’ll be around still, probably for a lot longer than most of you would like. Hit me up if you ever need any help or just want to talk — paper-related or not.

Cohen: Thanks for always letting me bounce ideas off of you. I’d like to think that trying to impress you has kept me sharp over the last few semesters. Hope I did once or twice.

Ryne and Chris: You guys gave me an A1 while I was still a contributing writer and I’ll never know why. But it made me grow up fast and I’ll always have you to thank for that. Sorry my third source was by email.

Mark: I emailed you on my first drive up to Syracuse and you put me in touch with Ryne right away. It’s really a blur from there but I’ll never forget that you put me on the right track and had a lot of confidence in me my freshman year.

Audrey: I’m afraid Sam and Schneidman are going to fight and then Phil will hurt both of them. I feel better knowing you’ll be around. It’s been a blast sharing a desk with you. Your commitment to no italics in the paper is admirable.

Casey: You once ripped me a new one for not reading the paper and I’ll admit that I had to try really hard not to laugh while you did. But over time, you showed me how great this paper is and how rewarding it can be to fully embrace all parts of it. Thanks for that. I still don’t read USen.

Maddy: You were the first person I was afraid of when I started as a copy editor. Then I realized I could just playfully flirt with you and you’d go from mad to giggling.

Chase: Go tight or go home. Really.

Seegz: You embody the most important part of what we’re all doing here. Here’s to holding people accountable for many years. Good luck man, even though you don’t need it.

Ankur: The Ankur’s In. You made the sign on the door on my first night, and the fact that you put me on the wall before I even copied a bus means a lot. Never forget 114 or Media Cup 2014.

Lizzie: I can’t promise I’ll ever write a book. But if I do, our deal’s on. Let’s work on something together next semester. I won’t kern too much.

Lindsay: Of all the great things we collaborated on, I’ll never forget the pie chart that didn’t add up to 100 or have any labels. I sure hope the readers do, though.

Mara: I can’t wait for you to lead the SECOND best section of The D.O. As long as you don’t take anyone’s sh*t — and I know you won’t — you’re going to do an awesome job.

Marge: You took everyone’s expectations and threw them back in their faces, and it was great to be a part of that. You’re going to be a huge asset for sports photography. Just remember to send in your full takes, you diva.

Meredith: We may have butted heads a few times (that’s generous), but I think you’re doing a bang-up job. I probably don’t say that enough. I’ll be waiting for you in Food.com to hear the latest word. Call me if there are ever any good arguments at the house. I won’t be far.

Lara: When we were copy editors, the house voted us most eligible bachelor and bachelorette. I only knew you as the girl in Pulp with big glasses, a few bylines and a name I couldn’t pronounce. Funny how things work out, isn’t it? I could tell you how great of a job you’ve done, how your commitment to 744 is going to benefit more future journalists than you’ll ever know. But instead I’ll just say I love you, and leave it at that.

Clayton, Billy and Minx: Cool some up for me guys. I’m coming home.

Jimmy John’s: You’re welcome.

To anyone who’s ever read past my byline: Thanks.