Editorial Board

Fairgrounds need indoor spaces to reach maximum potential

Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s proposal to invest in the New York State Fairgrounds and convert them into a year-round tourist attraction will help revitalize central New York, but only if indoor facilities are incorporated into the plan.

In his State of the State address Wednesday, Cuomo stressed the importance of investing in upstate New York. And one aspect of his plan that hits close to home is his proposal to invest $50 million into the New York State Fairgrounds and make it a “premier-use facility,” and “to create a world-class entertainment and tourism destination,” according to the budget document.

But the specifics of the impending transformation are not yet clear to local leaders. In a statement to the Syracuse Post Standard, Dave Bullard, the Great New York State Fair spokesman, said, “We are awaiting the details of what this means.”

The Daily Orange Editorial Board hopes this revitalization will include indoor-facilities so the use of the space reaches its fullest potential. Without indoor spaces, the usability of the fairgrounds will be severely limited by inclement weather. An exclusively outdoor venue will not truly function year-round. In Syracuse, it would be lucky if it were used May through October.

Making this facility multipurpose is a necessity. The New York State Fair lasts only two weeks and catering the space to the fair’s needs exclusively would be a mistake.
It would be in the fairgrounds’ best interest to have a space that can function for the fair, as well as other events that will promote upstate tourism.

Attracting tourists to upstate New York is not a new concept. So far the state has invested $40 million in its marketing campaign. An amphitheater on the edge of Onondaga Lake is also under construction and will hopefully cater to big-name artists who will attract a multitude of concert goers. These projects are new additions to the tourist attractions that central New York is already known for: its fall foliage, craft breweries and lakeside getaways.

Cuomo’s attention to central New York will bolster an influx of tourist dollars and help the local economy grow. The plan to convert the fairgrounds into a year-round facility will help in this effort, as long as the construction of multipurpose indoor facilities is a part of the plan.