Tattoo Tuesday

Tattoo Tuesday: Samantha Steinert

Doris Huang | Staff Photographer

Samantha Steinert honors her 20-year-old cousin who passed away. Her tattoo represents his sports number, 24, and the words “For you I shall live” in memory of his life.

The words “For you I shall live” and the number 24 tattooed on the back of sophomore Samantha Steinert’s neck are in memoriam of her cousin, Willie Rago, who lost his battle to cancer at the age of 20.

“It is so sad, but for him I shall live and continue on all of the amazing things he would’ve accomplished if he were here today,” Steinert, a child and family studies major,said.

Rago was diagnosed with Ewing sarcoma, a tumor in his knee, after he graduated high school. An exceptional lacrosse player and student, Rago was supposed to play lacrosse at Rochester Institute of Technology.

Once Rago couldn’t play sports anymore, Steinert started wearing her cousin’s number, 24, when she played soccer and lacrosse.

Steinert said she always looked up to her cousin, who was four years older.

“We were the same type of person. With athletics and academics, we were very similar,” Steinert said.

After going into remission for a short time, Rago was then diagnosed with leukemia. During a minor procedure, he started bleeding out. Steinert said the hospital lacked the resources necessary to save his life and Rago unexpectedly bled to death in 2010.

After the incident, Steinert’s aunt and uncle filed a lawsuit against the hospital, although money, Steinert said, could never repay the loss of her cousin.

“It’s a very confusing time after something like that happens,” Steinert said. “For a while I was so upset, but then I began to channel that negative energy into drive and ambition.”

In the past, Steinert saw herself pursuing a career in law or journalism. However, after her cousin’s death, she has decided to study medicine and would like to eventually become a pediatric oncologist.

Steinert got her tattoo in August 2014 — a tribute to a life lost too soon.

“I look at it now, and I can’t imagine dying tomorrow,” Steinert said. “I’m at such a good place in my life. He passed away when he should’ve been enjoying the best years of his life, which is exactly where I am now.”