Editorial Board

Gresely must use third semester wisely

This marks the third and final semester for Boris Gresely, Student Association president. Given their extra time in office, Gresely and his cabinet should use this semester not only to tie up loose ends, but also expand way the assembly communicates with the student body.

Gresely was granted this elongated term following a change to SA’s election schedule. In years past a term was divided by summer vacation, but now Gresely’s successors will serve two semesters in accordance with the Syracuse University calendar year.

This semester SA hopes to implement several changes on campus, such as the installation of heat lamps on South Campus bus stops and the addition of more charging stations in university buildings.

There are also ambitions to create a new leadership program for first year students, build on the dining with faculty program and Gresely’s biggest project, the Student Affairs Summit. This event will unite student leaders across campus with aims to discuss ways to improve the student experience at SU.

SA should continue to follow through on the projects they have already set in motion while also utilizing the president’s new ability to send emails to the entire student body.

When Gresely ran in the fall of 2013, he based his campaign on a three-part program to “reform, reconnect and redirect” SA and promised to hold SA more accountable. Now, with the ability to send three campus-wide emails per semester, he can do just that. 

It would be in SA’s best interest to utilize this pathway of communication to keep the student body informed.

Rather than operating within their own bubble, Gresely and the entirety of the 58th session should hold themselves accountable to the student body by providing regular updates on their initiatives and current project.

Sending an update three times a semester will provide transparency and direct interaction with the individuals SA represents.

Gresely has had more time to learn the ins and outs of office and he should use this privilege to create an infrastructure that will benefit those who will follow in his absence.