Boeheim talks new lineup, Obokoh’s role with McCullough injured; no update on freshman forward’s status

Sam Maller | Staff Photographer

Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim, pacing the sideline here against Florida State on Sunday night, will have to rearrange his rotation with freshman forward Chris McCullough's status in the air.

Chris McCullough’s injury means that Tyler Roberson will start for Syracuse.

Jim Boeheim, speaking on the Atlantic Coast Conference coaches’ teleconference on Monday afternoon, talked about his adjusted rotation and the role of previously third-string center Chinonso Obokoh moving forward. McCullough’s injury — which the SU (12-4, 3-0 ACC) head coach had no update on — has caused Boeheim to open up an eight-man rotation that will include the offensively limited sophomore Obokoh and sophomore forward B.J. Johnson.

Roberson has consistently come of the bench for Syracuse lately, often splitting time with McCullough at power forward or manning the spot while McCullough filled in for Rakeem Christmas at center. Roberson is averaging 6.9 points and 6.3 rebounds in 23.2 minutes per game.

Boeheim made it clear that unlike McCullough, Roberson would not be sliding into the center position.

“Chino has to play there and Tyler’s going to start at forward and we’ll bring B.J. Johnson in at either forward spot,” Boeheim said.

Johnson has played 190 minutes for the Orange in 11 appearances, but hasn’t played since ACC play began. His last appearance was a nine-minute, 0-for-1 shooting showing in a 61-44 SU win against Cornell on Dec. 31. He had two assists, a turnover and missed his only free throw in the game. Against Florida State, he sat to the left of assistant coach Adrian Autry.

Obokoh recorded four fouls in five minutes against the Seminoles, shooting o-for-1 from the field and snagging a rebound. He has played 43 total minutes this season in seven games.

The 6-foot-9 Nigerian-born center said Boeheim told him to keep his hands up and not foul opponents driving through the lane.

“I almost brought them back into the game, so that kind of game is not good and I hope it’s not going to happen again,” Obokoh said after SU’s 70-57 win over Florida State.

On Monday, Boeheim said that Obokoh needs to help the team on defense and rebound the basketball with any increased minutes he gets.

When asked what kind of role he saw for Obokoh offensively, Boeheim said, “He’s got to play defense and rebound.”