School of Information Studies

School launches scholarship program to advance innovation

In an effort to advance innovation, the School of Information Studies has launched a new scholarship program.

Last week, the iSchool announced the Expect More Library Scholarship, an opportunity for students applying to the master’s program in library and information studies. The program is designed to advance innovation in the field, and students will work directly with faculty members actively involved in the subject, according to an iSchool press release.

The two-year program will offer a 50 percent tuition award and a $1,000 travel fund for the graduate students to attend networking events and library conferences, according to the release. Participating students will be matched with faculty mentors in their prospective fields. They will work with the mentor as a faculty assistant on projects in the scholar’s field of interest for 20 hours per week, according to the release.

“This program will provide unique opportunities for these library students to get connected with the research and practice agendas of our library science faculty,” iSchool Interim Dean Jeff Stanton said in an email. “Students will find a variety of project areas to get involved in, depending upon the intersection of their interests with faculty interests.”

The late Estelle Wilhelm provided funding for the project. Wilhelm was a library science graduate of the iSchool in 1939 and had no surviving relatives at the time of her death in September 2012. Therefore, SU received a $7 million gift from her estate. At the time, it was the largest single gift in the history of the iSchool, according to an SU News release. This was the second gift from Wilhelm, who donated $1 million in 2006.

The name “Expect More” comes from a book written by iSchool Professor R. David Lankes. In the book, Lankes attempts to help libraries shed the label of old fashioned.

“I wanted to impress on people that libraries could be so much more than places where people could borrow and check out books,” Lankes said. “Our faculty have really pushed forward what people expect out of libraries, how to make them better.”

Lankes said students looking to apply for the scholarship must complete a 500-word essay about their specific field of interest, why they are interested and select multiple faculty members with whom they would like to work. The faculty then reviews the applications and decides, he added.

The program is unusual in that it offers an experience to graduate students that is normally exclusive to doctoral programs.

“We’ve seen great success at the doctoral level with folks working directly with faculty they have an interest in,” Lankes said. “I think we are pretty unique in bringing that to the graduate. We have some really outstanding folks that are really making changes.”

Along with the scholarship, the program will include a world tour in an effort to raise awareness in the drastically changing environment of libraries. Students paired with Lankes as their faculty mentor will likely be able to attend these conferences. The current schedule calls for stops in Miami, Liverpool, Italy, New Zealand and Australia, according to the release.