Student Association

Student Association holds first meeting of the semester, appoints cabinet members

Members of the Syracuse University Student Association voiced suggestions for the future improvement of the organization at the first meeting of the semester Monday night in Maxwell Auditorium.

SA members suggested stronger enforcement of attendance policies during the meeting, with some proposing harsher punishments for those who miss a specific number of meetings.

Danielle Reed, a junior Spanish and African American studies major, voiced concerns about the lack of communication between SA and the rest of SU.

“If students know that there are committees and people working on things to make things better for them, they will come and be a part of it,” she said.

Some members addressed the need for more information ahead of time regarding elections, suggesting that letters of intent and resumes be emailed to assembly representatives before new positions are appointed.

Additionally, there was discussion of adding subcommittees to the committees already in place by Parliamentarian Stephen Thomas. Thomas said these subcommittees would allow SA initiatives to get done without members overwhelmed by work.

“This organization isn’t just about governing, it is about building future leaders,” he said.

The assembly also elected two new members and confirmed four of President Boris Gresely’s appointments during the meeting.

Evan Ronen was elected speaker of the assembly and said he hopes to have increased participation in meetings by potentially splitting up into groups for smaller discussions.

Paulina Colon was elected chair of the Board of Elections and Membership. As chair, she said she plans to set specific goals throughout the semester and recruit more members.

Lyle Weston was confirmed as director of public relations. Weston said he will build on his previous public relations experience with SA and wants to get people more interested in the organization.

“They should want to know what is happening in meetings and that isn’t the case,” he said.

Brittany Moore will serve as chief of staff and said she plans to make sure everyone is held accountable and attends all committee meetings.

Gresely addressed the assembly and expressed confidence in the members he had appointed.

“A lot of people who I chose are people I think will execute good work,” Gresely said.