Ice Hockey

Syracuse wastes 3 power plays in 2-0 loss to Colgate after 30 days off

In its first game after returning from a 30-day break, Syracuse (5-9-7, 4-2-3 College Hockey America) fell 2-0 at Colgate (4-15-0, 1-6 Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference) on Tuesday night, despite outshooting the Raiders 29-15.

The first period ended scoreless as both teams’ goalies were active early. Syracuse’s Jenn Gilligan recorded six saves in the first frame, while Colgate’s Ashlynne Rando made eight stops.

The second period was full of Colgate offense that Syracuse was unable to stop. With 11:05 left on the clock in the second period, Melissa Kueber was able to get the puck past Gilligan to put the Raiders ahead on a power-play opportunity.

A little over four minutes later, Colgate added to its total with a goal from Lauren Wildfang on a low shot from the point that found its way through a cluster of skaters around the net and in.

The Orange was unable to answer the scores and failed to get any of its eight third-period shots past Rando. The scoreless effort makes Tuesday’s game only the second time all season the Orange has been shut out.

Gilligan finished the game with 13 saves while SU forwards Melissa Piacentini and Stephanie Grossi led the Orange with five shots each. Syracuse failed to capitalize on three power-play opportunities, during which it recorded just five shots.

The Orange next faces off against North Dakota (10-9-2, 6-8-2 Western Collegiate Hockey Association) on Saturday in what will be its final nonconference series of the season. Puck drop is scheduled for 3 p.m.

Compiled by Liam Sullivan, staff writer, [email protected]