Style

Decade-inspired styles remain fashionable in modern times

Renee Zhou | Staff Photographer

When designers revealed their collections for Spring/Summer 2015 season, they showed that some of the biggest trends are the floral patterns and loose silhouettes reminiscent of the 1970s.

Fashion is constantly reinventing itself, and while designers introduce new styles every day, they also remix trends from past years, making them cooler and more modern for the new generation. When the skort — skirt in the front, shorts in the back — made its comeback in 2013, the frumpy garment that was originally created for female athletes was replaced by a chic, asymmetrical version that graced the legs of supermodels, bloggers and every woman on the street. Take a trip down fashion memory lane and find out which decade your favorite trend came from.

1920s: The shift dress
The shift dress appears to have been a closet staple for rebellious young ladies of the 1920s, better known as “flappers.” The loose-fitted and strapless dress was shorter than the average 1920s dress and was considered the most fashionable look of the decade. Today, shift dresses are slightly oversized dresses with no waist definition that look great on every body type.

020415_P_FromtheRunway7_ReneeZhou_SP

1930s: Cowl neck
Turtlenecks re-emerged as a winter staple last year, and the cowl neck immediately followed. The cowl neckline is high, loose and draped. Madeleine Vionnet, a French fashion designer famous for making styles that flowed and moved with the wearer, developed the style during the 1930s. Cowl neck sweaters can be worn with jeans and booties for a cozy but polished winter look.

020415_P_FromtheRunway5_ReneeZhou_SP

1940s: Midi skirts
As a result of the ongoing war in the 1940s, both Britain and the U.S. put restrictions on the amount of fabric that could be used to create a garment. Less fabric caused hemlines to go up from calf-length to right below the knee. The mid-length skirt made a huge impression last fall and even became Kim Kardashian’s staple look. Pair the midi skirt with a crop top for a sexy yet elegant look.

020415_P_FromtheRunway3_ReneeZhou_SP

1950s: The knee-high boot
There is no boot sexier than the knee-high, and we have American designer Beth Levine to thank for that. As the hemlines of skirts rose during the 1940s and 1950s, Levine argued that boots could be worn for more than just bad weather and work. Knee-high boots are now considered one of the sexiest shoes and transition perfectly from fall to winter and even spring.

020415_P_FromtheRunway2_ReneeZhou_SP

1960s: The mini-skirt
By the 1960s, skirts had crept up from mid-length to every girl’s favorite party length. The mini-skirt was created by Mary Quant, a fashion designer in London — the fashion capital of the ‘60s. The shorter skirt was created to allow women to move more freely. Today, mini-skirts can be worn from work to parties and everywhere in between.

020415_P_FromtheRunway6_ReneeZhou_SP

1970s: The jumpsuit
Jumpsuits were originally created for professionals in aviation and racecar driving. The style was wildly popularized in the 1970s and worn by men and women during the hippie movement. Artists like David Bowie and Elvis Presley sported disco jumpsuits on stage during that era. These days, jumpsuits are available at all your favorite stores and can be dressed up or down.

020415_P_FromtheRunway8_ReneeZhou_SP

1980s: Athletic shoes
In the decade of the fitness craze and the debut of Air Jordans, it’s no surprise that a pair of athletic shoes like Air Jordans, Adidas or Reeboks were a must-have for every cool kid on the block — both male and female. Designers like Alexander Wang have embraced the sporty-chic look, and today sneakers are paired with everything from floral dresses and skirts to shorts and jeans.

020415_P_FromtheRunway1_ReneeZhou_SP

1990s: Destroyed denim
Denim was all the rage in the 1990s with everyone sporting denim jackets, shirts and overalls — sometimes all at once. However, nothing was as cool as the ripped jeans that rock stars like Kurt Cobain wore with their flannels. Distressed denim is perfect for both guys and girls and adds an instant cool factor to an otherwise basic outfit. Pair them with sneakers for a casual look and heels — or dress shoes for guys — for a more chic style.

020415_P_FromtheRunway4_ReneeZhou_SP