Abroad

Gipson: Spread of industrialization causes damage to rural Singapore

When I traveled to the northwest region of Singapore, I almost thought I was in another country by the looks of it. Old-fashioned wagons, enclosed livestock and fields of fresh veggies give the region a traditionally rustic vibe. This nation traces its earliest roots back to this area, an area where wooden homes once dotted the countryside and residents lived off the land.

Last weekend, I had the opportunity to see the Lim Chu Kang farms in the suburb of Kranji. As someone from Kentucky, I found it refreshing to finally take a trip outside the bustling city and explore nature. However, the reason for my visit was quite odd.

Unfortunately, these farms will be bulldozed and cleared in a few months’ time. In their place, boot camps and training facilities for National Service will be built as mandated by the Singaporean government. For Singapore, this is merely another step toward industrialization — a farewell to its agronomic past.

While I find it necessary to industrialize this flourishing nation for the sake of accommodating all inhabitants, it’s sad to watch the environment become comprised by the government. Of course, things here are designed in an eco-friendly way, yet only because they have to be. This country is too small to play games with; it would perish without taking environmental-friendly construction into consideration.

According to Maps of World, Singapore is one of the most densely populated countries in the world. As you could imagine, land here is relatively scarce. Every clump of dirt and patch of grass is highly valued. To own any plot of land is a luxury. Those who are able to purchase a home tend to be venerated by locals.

To solve the housing dilemma, some Singaporeans live in HDBs — high-rise buildings that provide shelter for millions of residents. You can find them just about everywhere, excluding downtown, where land is the most expensive and reserved for businesses. HDBs still run at a fairly hefty price — to purchase a flat will cost you a minimum of six-figures, according to the Housing and Development Board website. Instead, some rent their flats directly from the government.

But up until the late 1980s, there was simply not enough room for all these people, especially with such a blossoming immigrant community. In an effort to expand in this city short on space, the Singaporean government began building on the waterfront. Essentially, the entire southern coast of Singapore was erected on the surface of the water in an eco-friendly way. This is referred to as land reclamation.

One piece of reclaimed land is Sentosa, an island resort that attracted nearly 20.5 million visitors between 2012–13, according to its annual report. Home to Universal Studios and other popular attractions, its beaches are slowly becoming plagued with pollution. Cigarette butts, paper scraps and plastic bags litter the shoreline. And right across the water are the multimillion-dollar oil refineries, perpetually blowing smog from their colossal pipes into the sea.

The northern beaches in Sembawang Park and Pasir Ris are no exception. Sludge and chemical waste make a few areas unsuitable for swimming. To see beach pollution here is rather surprising, since littering is taken more seriously in Singapore than any other Southeast Asian nation. In fact, Singapore recently passed a law forbidding public drinking after 10:30 p.m. in alcohol control zones to help reduce late night littering. A little extreme, but at least they’re considering how this has an effect on the environment.

Something that doesn’t help the littering problem is this country’s extreme lack of trash cans and recycling bins. At times, they are absolutely nowhere to be found, including at train stations and parks. Personally, I find this “out of sight, out of mind” trash can policy to be somewhat self-defeating. No one genuinely wants to carry their trash around with them and this ultimately gives citizens incentive to litter.

Luckily, there are some nice spots to sit and relax in the midst of beeping cars and shouting passersby. Singapore requires the central business district to keep some of its land free for leisure and relaxation purposes. At my exchange university, for instance, we have a nice patch of greenery in front of our library. During this week’s midterm examinations, I plan to make use of that space for once.

Perhaps I can get away from big city life just feet from the classroom.

Zachary Gipson is a senior majoring in economics and linguistics. He is striving to fit in with the fast-paced locals of Singapore. To chat about life abroad, shoot him an email at [email protected].