Ice Hockey

Syracuse falls to RIT despite strong performance from goaltender Cariddi

About an hour before Syracuse and Rochester Institute of Technology faced off on Saturday, the Orange already knew its fate.

Penn State had just lost to Robert Morris, so SU clinched a No. 2 seed and first-round bye in the College Hockey America tournament.

With the season in hand, Syracuse started backup goalie Amanda Cariddi, giving usual starter Jenn Gilligan a game of rest. In her first career start, Cariddi made 23 saves and conceded only one goal, but the Orange (10-14-10, 8-6-6 CHA) lost to RIT (11-18-6, 5-12-3), 1-0, at Gene Polisseni Center on Saturday afternoon.

The Orange outshot RIT, 26-24, but wasn’t able to convert on six power-play opportunities. RIT’s game-winning goal came on a power play midway through the third period.

RIT forward Celeste Brown skated below the right circle and rifled a shot on goal. SU defender Akane Hosoyamada slid to the ice to block it but missed and the shot reached Cariddi, ricocheting off her shoulder and smacking the middle post in the back of the net.

The goal horn never sounded, but after a review, the officials confirmed the goal.

With 1:17 to go in the game, the Orange pulled Cariddi, adding an extra skater instead, but couldn’t repeat its late game heroics from Jan. 23 against RIT when SU tied the game with 11 seconds left.

Syracuse will have a week off then head to Mercyhurst for the semifinal of the CHA tournament on March 6. SU will play the highest seed of the two winners from the first round, which starts Friday.

The championship will take place the next day, with the winner of the CHA tournament receiving an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

Compiled by Jon Mettus, staff writer, [email protected]