Diamond Henderson tears ACL, will miss remainder of season for Syracuse

Senior guard Diamond Henderson has torn her left ACL and will be out for the rest of the season, Syracuse head coach Quentin Hillsman announced Tuesday morning.

Henderson, who’s third on the team with 10.5 points per game, injured the knee in a non-contact play about three minutes into the second half of SU’s regular-season finale against Clemson on Thursday. Henderson was going for a transition layup and landed awkwardly, with her left foot hitting the floor and her knee bending the other way.

“Hopefully she can get herself back together and get her knee repaired and move on and play at the next level,” Hillsman said. “Obviously, we’re waiting for her to get herself together and get her a full recovery.”

Hillsman routinely talks about his team’s depth, and said Tuesday, “I guess this is when our depth will be tested and we’ll see how deep we really are.”

Henderson, who transferred to SU this season from Tennessee Tech, was the Orange’s leading contributor off the bench.

“It’s disappointing when any of your players get hurt,” Hillsman said. “You hate to see your players go down when you know how hard they work. I know that their heart’s in it. I know that they compete at a very high level. So anytime someone gets hurt, it’s very personal and it’s very intimate.

“They’re my daughters. So if one of them gets hurt, you hurt.”