Abroad

Gipson: Compulsory military service in Singapore should be reformed to allow citizens freedom to choose

In Singapore, you spend at least 12 years of your life in the classroom. With a booming economy, education plays an exceptionally vital role in the country’s continuous success across multiple sectors. Quitting school is discouraged under parliamentary law, skipping class for any reason is condemned and cheating is always punished no matter the circumstances.

Students are even taught the same material to ensure all possess identical knowledge, skills and tools to properly navigate the workforce. Needless to say, Singapore goes above and beyond to prepare these students for… the military?

At age 18, all male citizens and second-generation permanent residents of Singapore, including those who no longer live in the country but have citizenship, are required by law to register for National Service, also known as conscription. National Service is a two-year period in which boys serve in the Armed Forces, the Police Force or the Civil Defense Force depending on physical fitness.

This mandatory practice began in the late 1960s following Singapore’s independence from Malaysia. There are rarely exceptions for exemption, excluding severe mental and physical disabilities, which prevent the servicemen from fulfilling their duties. If you can function at a basic level, you are ultimately deemed able-bodied and will be forced against your will to give back to your country. Most who finish their service go on to lead successful lives, generally completing an accredited degree by their mid-20s.

Before I came to Singapore, I thought compulsory military service was rather uncommon and outdated. To my surprise, it is actually quite prevalent in Southern Asia, Northern Africa and a majority of South America. Compared to the Western world, Singapore is a relatively submissive country. Even if someone wholeheartedly disagrees with an ordinance or statute mandated by the government, no one will audibly dispute their discordance in the public eye. As a result, most men follow the law without complaint. For Singaporean men, obedience is a virtue.

For such a predominantly male delegation, there are still women who take on two years of active duty. Initially, you might question their motive, though it makes absolutely perfect sense as to why they would make such a decision. Unlike the men, who receive a small stipend and may be granted two months leave if they can pass a challenging fitness exam, the women receive full tuition to the university of their choice. Based on conversations with a few of these girls, they seem to be in the most optimal health and aim to inspire other females to commit to two years of service.

But all this talk of National Service will eventually wear thin on your nerves. Ask those who have served to tell you a little bit more about their experience, and you’ll be immediately annoyed by their exaggerated tales. Some guys might claim those two years were the “best days of their entire life” and that they would “not be the same person today otherwise.” Singaporean films, such as the “Ah Boys to Men” trilogy, perpetuate the necessity of National Service in the life of a Merlion, which is a name that Singaporeans call themselves. This is perhaps a dream for some and a terrible nightmare for others. Nonetheless, it is a driving force behind the ridiculous masculinity complex this nation has upheld for decades.

Singapore is in no imminent danger. The people have never done anything to shake the world. Therefore, no one has a legitimate reason to attack. And I do get it — the government wants its citizens to feel safe. Yet there is genuinely no need for a nation of 5.5 million to have a nearly 1.5 million person army reserve.

Instead of running around in open fields with rifles for two years, these guys should be curing diseases, writing masterpieces and teaching children how to read. Singapore really needs to think this one through and let the people decide for themselves.

Zachary Gipson is a senior majoring in economics and linguistics. He is striving to fit in with the fast-paced locals of Singapore. To chat about life abroad, shoot him an email at [email protected].