Letters to the Editor

Liberty in North Korea announces Seedat, Hong endorsement

Liberty in North Korea is proud to announce our endorsement of Aysha Seedat and Jane Hong for presidential and vice presidential candidates of the Student Association 59th Session. We have never before endorsed a Student Association candidate, but we feel that Seedat and Hong’s platform of support and safety will represent our interests in a way that no other candidates could.

Liberty in North Korea, or LiNK, aims to shift the perception of North Korea from its politics to its people. We are a nonprofit organization that rescues North Korean refugees and campaigns to spread awareness about important human rights issues, and our executive board spends the entire year brainstorming the most effective ways to fundraise for our cause. Our success hinges upon working with the student body to promote our messages of community and acceptance.

Not only does Seedat and Hong’s campaign rest on a very similar foundation of safety and support, but Hong also sits on our current executive board, working to promote our cause on top of her work with the Student Philanthropy Council, the Korean American Student Association and as an RA in the Sheraton. Seedat is the current Student Association director of student life, and works daily with students to build campus community by protecting their best interests through initiatives such as the Chat and Dine program and heat lamps at campus bus stops.

Due to their involvement and like-mindedness regarding the direction the campus community should be going, and their advocacy and support work through their various student organization affiliations, LiNK asserts that the student body at Syracuse University will be in the best possible hands if Seedat and Hong are elected this spring. We wish Seedat and Hong the best of luck in the upcoming elections, and encourage students to learn more about their campaign through their website and social media.

Liberty in North Korea
Syracuse University