Letters to the Editor

Sigma Delta Tau endorses Seedat, Hong

On behalf of the Sigma Delta Tau Omega chapter, we are proud to announce our endorsement of Aysha Seedat and Jane Hong for presidential and vice presidential candidates of the Student Association 59th Session.

Sigma Delta Tau takes a stand against all forms of abuse and strives to promote a positive and healthy environment for all. Our sorority regularly hosts educational programs and fundraising campaigns for Prevent Child Abuse America, and we strongly identify with Seedat and Hong’s initiative to combat sexual assault on campus. Furthermore, their goal of fostering better integration for transfer and international students is an enormous step towards improving overall student life and creating a more constructive community here at SU.

Seedat has served on the cabinet of the 58th Session as the director of student life, and each of her initiatives while in office reflect a deep passion for improving the lives of Syracuse students. She tackles real-life issues such as transportation and the cold climate, looking to find ways to make students more comfortable as they travel between classes and wait for south campus buses. She also created the Chat and Dine program, which encourages students to meet one on one or in small groups with their professors in order to forge a better relationship and gain an increased understanding of their coursework.

Hong also devotes huge amounts of time to working personally with students. She is an RA in the Sheraton, and also a member of U100, an on campus organization that helps new students get acclimated to the Syracuse University community. On top of that, she serves on the philanthropy council. Her dedication to her work, and her close link to the current student social climate here on campus, perfectly equip her to address on campus issues in a timely and effective manner.

After speaking with Seedat and Hong, Sigma Delta Tau has the utmost faith in their ability to fully realize the positive ideals that form the basis of their campaign. We sympathize with and support the issues that they aim to address, and know that they are the best candidates to make real, healthy changes to this campus and ensure that all students feel welcome, safe and at home during their time spent here.

We hope that students will take the time to learn more about this incredible campaign, and we could not be more optimistic about the coming election.

Sigma Delta Tau, Omega Chapter
Syracuse University