Recruiting

Syracuse football recruiting: Camden coach says SU has ‘good shot’ at landing DE Jamal Holloway

Between planning a second visit to SU on July 16 and including Syracuse in his top 10 on Wednesday, the prospects of Jamal Holloway committing to the Orange are looking up.

“I think they have a good shot at Jamal,” Camden (New Jersey) High School head coach Dwayne Savage said of Syracuse landing his defensive end.

Holloway is rated three stars and the 50th weak-side defensive end in the 2016 class according to 247Sports.com’s composite rankings. He compiled 99 tackles, 79 of them for a loss, and 13 sacks in his last two seasons per MaxPreps.com. Camden teammate and linebacker Dymelle Parker became the 12th member of Syracuse’s 2016 recruiting class on June 29.

Holloway’s 6-foot-3, 215-pound body and “freak” athleticism allows him to exceed in pass rushing, Savage said. Holloway’s verified 40-yard dash time is 4.98 seconds on Scout.com. While Holloway is listed as a defensive end on several recruiting sites, in a 3-4 system, he would likely serve as a pass rushing outside linebacker, according to Savage.

“His speed for his size is unbelievable and the way he rushes the passer, he’ll effect a lot of throws,” Savage said. “He can really chase down the ball.”

Holloway also has offers from Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Virginia, Michigan State and Temple among others, per Scout and will be revisiting those five schools along with Syracuse.

Savage said Holloway also plays tight end, but in Camden’s spread style, his offensive role is limited. In three seasons on Camden’s varsity basketball team, Holloway has already racked up 1,239 career points and as a junior, he averaged 16.3 points and 12.7 rebounds, per MaxPreps.

Said Savage: “He’s just a great athlete.”