From the Runway

3 looks inspired by the designers behind Philosophy, Theory and A.P.C.

If you know fashion, you know all the big names: Phillip Lim, Alexander Wang and Ralph Lauren. They decide what’s in and what’s out. But instead of talking about them, I’m going to talk about some people you may not know (but you should). Their names may not sound familiar, but the brands that they work for might: Philosophy, Theory and A.P.C. Here are the three designers whose collections you should be channeling this fall and how you can implement them into your wardrobe.

Lorenzo Serafini

092915_P_ftr3_DorisHuang_SP

Photo by Doris Huang

For the Modern Romantic look Serafini has been working in the industry for the past 20 years, so he definitely knows his stuff. The Philosophy designer combines simple yet interesting silhouettes with a modern, innovative touch. His looks are full of ruffles, lace and 70s inspired prints, which, when all put together, add up to a very feminine, refined look. To truly capture the essence of Serafini’s designs, pair a ruffled top with some high-waisted trousers or sport a simple frock with lace detailing. Serafini’s collection is truly the definition of a modernized hippie — flowing silhouettes and interesting patterns, mixed with sophisticated elements of high necklines and great pairs of shoes.

Lisa Kulson

092915_P_ftr2_DorisHuang_SP

Photo by Doris Huang

For the Contemporary American Sportswear look Kulson designs for the woman on the move — she has a job, a family and a life — and no time to change in between any of it. Who really does? Kulson’s pieces are for the person who likes to wear basics, but also keep their outfit looking interesting. Her collection for Theory contains anything from a prim and proper white cotton button-down to a sleeveless wool coat to a cashmere and wool midi skirt. Kulson sticks to more muted colors — brown, camel, gray and black — and basic shapes, but experiments with fabrics and her pairing of items. To get her look, try pairing a turtleneck sweater with a midi skirt and a pair of booties.

Vanessa Seward

092915_P_ftr1_DorisHuang_SP

Photo by Doris Huang

For the Understated Elegance look to Seward, the most important part of any outfit is the fit of the garments. And it really can make the difference. Seward is based in Paris, which heavily influences her aesthetic and styling choices (not to mention she worked for French designers Yves Saint Laurent and Azzaro, who might have also had an influence on that). She believes it’s out with boho and in with a more refined, classic look. In her collection, which she collaborated with A.P.C., Seward has turned basics into exciting stuff with changes in small details. Her collection contains leather midi skirts, printed silk blouses and leather riding boots. Channel Seward’s look with a suede skirt, a flowy blouse and over-the-knee boots.

As you get ready to transition your wardrobe from summer to fall, take a step back and really look at your closet. Leave the statement pieces you know you will wear and all the basics you can mix and match with. This fall is all about keeping it simple. So if you ever ask yourself if your outfit needs an extra oomph, the answer may be no.