NCAA Investigations

Syverud discusses Syracuse University’s NCAA appeals rationale

Chancellor Kent Syverud said Monday that SU weighed many options before choosing to appeal to reduction in scholarships and vacation of wins handed down by the NCAA in March.

Syracuse University chose to appeal certain NCAA penalties levied in March based on penalties imposed in similar situations at similar universities, Chancellor Kent Syverud said Monday.

The university consulted widely with counsel, student-athletes and athletics department leadership before deciding to appeal, Syverud said in an interview with The Daily Orange. The decision to appeal was partly because of the belief that the penalties imposed on SU were disproportionate to previous similar incidents at other schools, he said.

“So we chose to appeal the areas where we thought there was a good faith argument to that effect,” Syverud said.

The university appealed the reduction in men’s basketball scholarships and vacation of certain men’s basketball wins in March, 12 days after the NCAA report was released. It is unclear when the NCAA will announce the results of the appeal.

In March, the NCAA handed down punishments that included a reduction in men’s basketball scholarships, a reduction in off-campus recruiters, vacation of wins for the men’s basketball and football teams and a nine-game suspension for men’s basketball head coach Jim Boeheim to be served this season beginning at the start of ACC play.

Boeheim chose to appeal the portion of his nine-game suspension that forbids him from coaching the team during practice.