From the Runway

The 4 coats you need for this winter

Doris Huang | Staff Photographer

It's not sweater weather anymore — it's time to bring out the wool mittens, tall boots and cozy coats.

Temperatures began to dip this weekend in Syracuse, snow fell from the sky and it was a wake-up call that winter is just around the corner. Light sweaters overlaid with vests are no longer proper outdoor garb — not unless you want your fingers and toes to go numb. Now it is time for the wool socks, L.L. Bean boots and cozy jackets to come out from hiding. And if you’re from the South or the West Coast, you need to go buy a thick jacket — fast. If you think it’s cold now, you haven’t seen anything yet. These are the four coats that everyone needs before we hit winter:

The Minimalist Jacket

102015_P_FTR4_DorisHuang_SP

Doris Huang | Staff Photographer

Not a big fan of super puffy jackets or ones with all the fur and zippers? Then this jacket is for you. The simple lines and design of the jacket will give you a sleek and sophisticated look, while also keeping it looking modern. Small details (such as leather edges, interesting necklines, cuffs, buttons, etc.) keep the jacket interesting without making it appear overwhelming. Since it is rather simple in structure and appearance, you can experiment with colors, going for subtle nudes or more vibrant colors such as red or green.

The Basic Black Trench

102015_P_FTR3_DorisHuang_SP

DorisHuang | Staff Photographer

It’s like your little black dress for the cold season. This coat creates a classy, Audrey Hepburn-inspired look that is sophisticated and sexy. The structure of the jacket partnered with the buttons in the middle will cinch in your waist to create a classic hourglass shape. Get one of the thicker wool variety to give you the most warmth, but make sure to wear a thick sweater underneath. Pair it with a beret and thin scarf to complete your refined look.

The Super Warm Parka

102015_P_FTR1_DorisHuang_SP

Doris Huang | Staff Photographer

When snow is pelting from the sky and temperatures barely reach above 15 degrees, this jacket will become your outerwear essential. Forget about trying to look like your jacket was designed by Marc Jacobs, keeping warm is key. Definitely grab a jacket with down feathers to provide you with optimal warmth and make sure it reaches down to your knees to keep your legs warm while walking to class (trust me, if you don’t, your thighs will freeze). Stick with more subtle colors for jackets so you don’t look like a giant ball of obnoxious colors. Go for dark forest greens, blacks, dark greys or even tans and whites.

The Bomber

102015_P_FTR2_DorisHuang_SP

Doris Huang | Staff Photographer

For the next few weeks when the temperatures might stay above 40 degrees, this is the jacket to wear. Neither super thick nor super thin, this jacket provides just enough warmth while the weather fluctuates. A bomber adds an edgy-punk but military-esque element to your look. The slouchy appearance of the jacket gives you a relaxed but cool vibe to your outerwear. It can easily be worn with jeans and booties or leggings and Dr. Martens. If the chill is too much, add a super slouchy beanie and loosely knit infinity scarf.

Whichever look you’re going for this winter, never forget to layer up — scarves and hats are always a must. Your outerwear can say a lot about you, so try to be different, not like a part of a herd — a Canada Goose herd that is.