Top 10

Murthy: Top 10 things to enjoy this Spring Break

Remember that paralyzing fear of venturing into the dorm bathroom without slippers on? Ever been the unfortunate victim of a stray chicken wing or a forlorn, grimy sock in the hall? It is with pain in my heart and puke in my throat that I recall an entire platter of chicken wings deposited in a mess outside my room.

If you’re reading this and sighing with relief, then you must currently be located outside of the university bubble, enjoying a schedule-free week and a people-free bathroom. An early spring has been accompanied by the appearance of shorts, shades and picnic blankets ready to subdue the grass on the Quad. The temperature went up at the same moment GPAs tripped and fell. It’s a fantastic time for break, and Pulp did the rounds to find out what SU students were up to this spring.

1. Dress shopping

How can shopping be made better? Add the impending promise of matrimony and observe as those retail smiles turn wedding-dress white. Olivia Maguire, a sophomore television, radio and film major, is enjoying the next week knowing that Destiny USA and J.Michael Shoes are not her only options as she shops for her cousin’s wedding.

2. Attending a wedding in Costa Rica

I sense that something about spring brings up the desire for lifelong commitment. If you’re a guest at a wedding, the possibilities are endless, and Liam Moynagh, a senior political science major, is all set to explore spring south of the border.

3. Making a difference

Congratulations were in order when I discovered that Yali Chen, a freshman international relations major, is actually going be the change she wants to see in the world. She’s spending the next week at the State University of New York Purchase College with the New York Public Interest Research Group debating student activism, voter registration and a cleaner environment.

4. Loving my dog

Tania Leyva, a graduate student in the masters in Spanish language literature and culture program, is all set to spend the next week reading a list of Spanish books. But she’ll definitely be interrupted by licks from her Yorkshire terrier, Lexi. Also, she may or may not go dress shopping for Lexi, since spring shopping isn’t just a human privilege.

5. Going to SXSW

Elijah Shama, a freshman broadcast and digital journalism and Middle Eastern studies, is spending time with his father at this annual music, art and tech festival in Austin, Texas. It’s especially exciting considering Barack Obama will also be in attendance.

6. Getting my tan on

As Larry Mikanga, an undecided sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, so wisely said, “The sun doesn’t work right here.” Regina Cho, a sophomore dual major in public relations and marketing, is combatting that phrase. She’s retreating to Florida for the week, where the sun indeed works the way it should.

7. Visiting Friends

Danny Higgins, a freshman television, radio and film major, is spending his time in the Bronx at Fordham University. Originally from Massachusetts, Danny is taking his week to paint this northern New York City borough red with his friend.

8. Getting trained in the art of EDM festivals

Or simply put, top in my list of conversation-starters. Chris Venzon, a freshman broadcast and digital journalism major, is heading down to Miami’s Ultra Music Festival so his friends can get him up to speed with festival tips and tricks.

9. Vacuuming the car

Elizabeth Boghosian, a graduate student in the Spanish language, literature and culture program, is aiming for mental relaxation and focused studying. In the event that these two cannot happen simultaneously, vacuuming her car is next on the list.

10. Forgetting everything I learned this semester

Ryan McNeil, a sophomore political science major, has succinctly combined all my aims for spring in one clause.

Wherever you are, and whatever you’re doing, just give thanks that you’re not in a dorm. Spend time with family and friends, and make the most of the week.