Liberal Column

SU can do more to combat vape use and nicotine addiction on campus

Juan Soto Delgado | Staff Photographer

Traditional “No Smoking” signs are posted around campus, but these signs do not specify e-cigarette or vaping products, which output flavored water vapor, not smoke.

Since the summer of 2015, Syracuse University has been a “tobacco-free” campus, meaning that no smoking is allowed. This includes cigarettes, chewing tobacco, e-cigarettes and vapes like the popular Juul. Despite this policy, smoking and vaping is still easy to spot around campus.

Senior Ashley Lin said that as a resident adviser she often saw freshmen vaping in Lawrinson Hall last year.

“A lot of them were obsessed with their Juuls, and they would freak out every single time they didn’t have it on their bodies,” Lin said.

Vaping poses a serious health risk to the SU community, and SU can do more to combat vape use and nicotine addiction on campus.

Fifteen percent of college students reported that they vape nicotine products, and 11% report that they have vaped marijuana products, according to an annual study from the University of Michigan this year. That’s more than twice the rate compared to last year’s study. Vapes are an especially increasing trend, and little research has been performed on the effects of vapes in the long term.

Recently, new information about the health risks of vapes has come into public focus. At least 450 cases of severe lung illnesses and at least five deaths have been linked to vaping products. Researchers also noted in their report in the New England Journal of Medicine that “e-cigarette aerosol is not harmless” and can expose users to dangerous substances like ultrafine particles, heavy metals, volatile organic compounds and other harmful ingredients.

op-15-juul

Eva Suppa | Digital Design Editor

One SU student, Maxwell Berger, has even sued Juul Labs, makers of Juul, claiming that the vape device played a major role in a hemorrhagic stroke he suffered in 2017, which partially paralyzed him and caused brain damage.

While SU does explicitly ban vaping products like Juul, more can be done to ensure that students are aware of the policy.

“From what I know, for the Office of Student Living, we don’t really talk to the residents about Juuling or vaping,” Lin said.

Lin also said that RAs should speak to residents about the health risks of Juuls and vapes.

“It should be included in one of the first floor meetings, just so residents know what they’re inhaling,” Lin said.

“There’s definitely room to re-evaluate some of the policies currently in place,” said John Jankovic, a co-chair of the Student Life Committee of the SU Student Association.

Traditional “No Smoking” signs are posted around campus, but these signs do not specify e-cigarette or vaping products, which output flavored water vapor, not smoke. New signage should be posted on entrances to campus buildings, especially dorms, specifying vapes and other e-cigarette products to ensure that the student body is better aware of the policy.

Additionally, campus smoking and tobacco policies should be included in August orientation sessions, like dorm hall meetings, and first-year student seminars.

“There’s already avenues that exist that we can incorporate this kind of education or information,” Jankovic said. “SEM 100 is a good example, or any first-year class that comes with a focus on health and wellness should come with the incorporation of maybe vaping, or smoking as well.”

Jankovic said SA is open to discussion of tobacco and nicotine policies on campus this year.

By taking time to explicitly talk to students about the dangers of tobacco and nicotine products, as well as SU’s policies, students may be discouraged from using these products. SU should also encourage students to report violations of these policies to faculty or administrators, as part of their effort to encourage healthy habits.

While some have warned of vapes’ possible health risks, most young people have ignored the concerns, viewing vapes as a better alternative to cigarettes. Recent illnesses have brought to light the legitimate health risks that come along with vaping and nicotine addiction. SU, as part of its large-scale effort to help students in both physical and mental health, must do more to combat this ever-increasing epidemic.

Nick Robertson is a freshman news and online journalism and policy studies major. His column appears bi-weekly. He can be reached at [email protected]. He can be followed on Twitter at @NickRobertsonSU.