CNY Brewfest celebrates over 100 local breweries in 24th annual festival

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

The CNY Brewfest festival will set a record for brewery attendance, with over 100 breweries to check out and taste.

Miles Wilson, who grew up 45 minutes west of Syracuse in Victor, New York, will showcase his beer at the 24th annual Central New York Brewfest this week. Wilson opened Canned Heat two years ago and then opened a tap room in Fall River, Massachusetts, last year. Being a business owner of a beer company “is the opportunity to participate in an industry that otherwise would be a hobby,” he said. 

Wilson is one of the many brewers participating in The CNY Brewfest, the longest-running brewfest in central New York. The CNY Brewfest is an annual event organized by Jason Purdy. This year, it will take place Jan. 24-25 at the New York State Fairgrounds in the Horticulture Building. 

The festival will set a record for brewery attendance, with over 100 breweries to check out and taste. Guests at the first session will get to watch the Syracuse men’s basketball team take on ACC rival Pittsburgh, and the Syracuse band Soul Risin’ will perform on both evenings.   

Purdy’s serious interest in beer spans over 15 years ago, when he began bartending at Shifty’s Bar and Grill. Before Purdy became the organizer of the CNY Brewfest, he worked with the festival’s founders to sell and distribute tickets for the event to bars in the central New York region. Four years ago, following the 20th anniversary of the CNY Brewfest, Purdy offered the festival’s founders to assume control of the operations of the event.   

Purdy’s passion for beer motivates him to explore beer wherever he travels. Through his travels, he has grown the microbrewery participants from 60-80 breweries to almost 120 — mostly from the Northeastern United States — over the last four years. Three breweries he is particularly excited about are Other Half Brewing Company, Equilibrium Brewery and Lawson’s Finest Liquids, he said.   

image2Miles Wilson, owner of Canned Heat Craft Beer, is one of many breweries that will be featuring their craft and specialty beers at the CNY Brewfest. Courtesy of Canned Heat Craft Beer

“It’s been great to get a bunch of great breweries that I have relationships with together, especially during the winter when there is not much to do,” Purdy said.   

Brewery Ommegang, located in Cooperstown and known for its Belgium-style ales, will make its 24th appearance. Guests can try one of the Belgianstyle amber ales, Rare Vos, and a hazy India pale ale, Neon Rainbows, at CNY Brewfest. Meanwhile, Canned Heat will have its kettle sour beer and New England India pale ale beer available for guests to taste  

A new concept this year is the VIP party from 6 to 9 p.m. on Friday. The party is limited to 300 guests, and off-market beers and specialty beers that will not be offered on Saturday will be showcased. Soul Risin’, a Syracuse band led by Bryan Weinsztok, will also perform at both evening programs. This will be the third year Soul Risin’ performs at the CNY Brewfest, and the group will play covers, original songs and segments of their ‘80s cover set that it started performing late last year.  

Purdy encourages guests to have a friend or family member drop them off and pick them up, but guests who agree to be a designated driver will receive a $20 voucher that they can put toward their entrance ticket or concessions.  

Weinsztok, the lead singer for Soul Risin’, attributes the rise and success of the festival to Purdy’s persistence and commitment to his relationships with bar and brewery owners.