Award-winning screenwriter Marc Lapadula gives lecture at Syracuse Studios

Lucy Messineo Witt | Staff Photographer

Marc Lapadula, an award-winning screenwriter, playwright and producer, speaks animatedly to a group of students and members of the public alike during his seminar at Syracuse Studios.

Award-winning producer and screenwriter Marc Lapadula trained some of the voices behind movies like “The Hangover,” “(500) Days of Summer” and “Ocean’s 8.” Last Saturday, Lapadula shared his expertise to help train aspiring screenwriters in Syracuse. 

From 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Lapadula delivered a lecture at The Academy at Syracuse Studios to provide professional insight into the industry. At the seminar, he analyzed classic screenplays throughout history and discussed cinematic dialogue, plot construction and conflict, according to an event page.  

This event is a step in the local production facility’s efforts to offer workshops, seminars and master classes to the public in 2020. The Academy is also offering classes on subjects such as editorial workflow and post-production, location scouting and a background talent certification program, according to a press release from The Academy at Syracuse Studios. 

Sign up for The Daily Orange Newsletter

*
* indicates required

Lapadula, who is also a playwright, has had a career of original stage plays and commissioned screenplays as well as films that debuted at both the Sundance Film Festival and the Tribeca Film Festival. He has taught screenwriting seminars for 28 years and is a current senior lecturer in film studies at Yale University. 

He described screenwriting as a craft that requires immense imagination, analysis and multiple rough drafts. But he said that there is the added challenge of articulating one’s voice as an artist and formulating a worldly message that is profound enough for viewers to listen to. He said he sees this as “one of the greatest callings” and a creative path that is almost inevitable for many dedicated artists and writers.  

2_29_syracusestudios_lucymessineowitt_sp_07

Marc Lapadula delivered a lecture at The Academy at Syracuse Studios to provide professional insight into the industry. At the seminar, he analyzed classic screenplays throughout history and discussed cinematic dialogue, plot construction and conflict. Lucy Messineo Witt | Staff Photographer

“If you are successful, you are doing what you love and sharing it with others,” he said in an email. “Inspiring them to exercise their emotions and their minds to enter fresh realms generated solely through your imagination as a writer. It carries with it immense responsibility because a true writer and artist must remain true to what they believe.” 

As far as a sense of doubt or insecurity in the field, Lapadula said doubt can be used as a motivator to continue to compete with oneself by polishing a work and aiming to take it to a higher level, he said. He also noted that a writer should never be satisfied with a first draft.  

Aspiring screenwriter and sophomore television, radio and film major Bridgit Patterson finds reassurance in the example of Lapadula’s success. She said she feels inspired to be surrounded by experts of the industry who want to share their knowledge and experiences with students. 

Patterson relates to Lapadula’s characterization of screenwriting as a divine calling because for as long as she can remember, Patterson said she wanted to be an author.  

“Over time, my love for film and the visual aspects of storytelling increased greatly,” Patterson said in an email. “I’ve found screenwriting to be the perfect marriage between my increasing love for film and my longtime love of writing.”  

Syracuse Studios academy director Samuel Avery said in an email that Lapadula’s seminar was for “serious writers and creatives interested in starting — or continuing — their career in screenwriting.”  

“There are no guarantees in choosing to be an artist. That’s what makes it so special and scary as a path in life to pursue. But no great artist or writer can ever play it safe,” Lapadula wrote. “The life of an artist is one of taking risks. And the risks are worth it in that you are creating something out of your own personal experiences and unlimited imagination.”