Campus organizations offer socially-distanced, virtual activities

Emily Steinberger | Photo Editor

SU organizations such as Orange After Dark and University Union are trying to create programs that bring people together in a safe way.

The coronavirus pandemic has kept Syracuse University freshmen from being able to bond in traditional ways. Yaw Bonsu and his floormates in Brewster Hall have used the TV show “Love Island” to connect every night in their lounge.

“Although we were staying six feet apart, we are actually getting closer,” Bonsu said. “We were really able to bond on the floor and get to know each other even more.”

COVID-19 has made interacting with people harder than ever, but SU organizations such as Orange After Dark and University Union are trying to create programs that bring people together in a safe way.

Outside of SU, students can go to restaurants and attend limited outdoor concerts in the Syracuse area. Bonsu has gotten outside of The Hill by going to Destiny USA, and he and his friends tried to go bowling last weekend before plans shifted.

University Union is hosting virtual events, such as the upcoming Juice Jam concert on Sunday, as well as in-person events with COVID-19 regulations, such as the Cinemas film showings at Gifford Auditorium in Huntington Beard Crouse Hall. OAD has also hosted socially-distanced events, such as silent discos and laser tag.

While many events have gone virtual, SU organizations have made it a priority to host in-person social activities that comply with COVID-19 regulations. David Larsen, an environmental epidemiologist and associate professor of public health at Falk College, is most concerned about the number of people who attend in-person events.

“The large activities, you’re increasing the chance of someone having the coronavirus and spreading it,” Larsen said. “Every additional person would increase that probability.”

Larsen also said that wearing a mask and making sure to stay as distanced as possible is crucial. But he understands it is challenging sometimes — he’s learned that from personal experience with his children.

Outdoor activities can be beneficial due to increased spacing, Larsen said. This is something that OAD has been doing, said Kelly Davis, sophomore and OAD student event board member.

The organization has hosted programs such as silent disco and laser tag, which were held on the Quad. Students were still able to have fun with their friends while keeping the six-foot distance, Davis said.

OAD is also hosting hybrid events, such as Grocery Bingo, both in person at Grant Auditorium and virtually. Students sign up on a link before the event and play bingo at the allotted time.

Hybrid events have also proven to be effective, as more students have been attending those events than the prior ones, Davis said.

“I’m really happy we’re having both in-person and virtual events,” Davis said. “I’ve heard a lot of people grateful that we’re doing this and still keeping on a norm on campus.”

UU’s plans have also been shifted online due to the coronavirus pandemic. Its annual concert Juice Jam will now be virtually screened on YouTube this Sunday. In the past few months, UU has also held virtual concerts with singer King Princess and rapper Smino.

It just comes down to following the rules and being as safe as we can. We want to be as an engaging experience as possible.
Slater Ward-Diorio, president of University Union

Annelise Hackett, UU public relations director, said the organization plans on hosting more events throughout the semester while sticking to public health guidelines.

Although concert events have been virtual, they have been easier to organize, said Layne Lindroth, UU’s concert co-director. Virtual concerts now allow flexibility for UU to try new things, Lindroth said. Artists not having to travel “opens doors” for new artists who wouldn’t normally come to Syracuse, she said.

UU is also hosting movie screenings at HBC Gifford Auditorium, including some films that are available to stream on the virtual platform Swank. In-person attendees must practice social distancing and wear masks, said Molly Gross, UU’s cinemas co-director. Patrons receive temperature checks at the door, and the seats are wiped down.

“It just comes down to following the rules and being as safe as we can,” said UU President Slater Ward-Diorio. “We want to be as an engaging experience as possible.”