Student Association

SA passes 2 election bills, recognizes Black History Month

Wendy Wang | Staff Photographer

In addition to recognizing Black History Month, SA passed a bill allocating $375 to organize a screening of Spike Lee’s “Do the Right Thing.” SA will collaborate with University Union to prepare the screening.

UPDATED: Feb. 1, 2022 at 2:02 p.m

Syracuse University’s Student Association passed two election-related bills during its meeting Monday.

The first bill amended the association’s election procedures and the second bill set the week of April 4 as the election period for SA president, executive vice president, the comptroller, and the for the assembly along with any referenda released.

The updates on election codes clarify and modify campaigning for SA positions. The passage of the bill overhauls SA’s public finance system.

The election codes bill expanded the amount of money referendum campaigns receive to $100 per campaign, $50 per SA assembly candidate campaign and $250 per campaign for President, Vice President, and Comptroller, said David Bruen, president of SA.

“This is great because it reduces the barriers to running for office, just as stipends have reduced the barrier to serving as student government president and or vice president,” Bruen said. “It’s a pretty big deal.”

In addition, SA passed a bill reapportioning seats in the assembly to different colleges at SU. The College of Arts and Sciences, College of Engineering and Computer Science, Falk College, School of Education and College of Professional Studies each gained a seat of representation in SA.

SA also passed a bill acknowledging Black History Month, which will take place throughout February.

“We have to have that added recognition because for so long the achievements of Black Americans and Black people have been overlooked,” said Darnelle Stinfort, vice president of SA. “It’s important as a student government on this campus to annually recognize that and to include more Black students in SA. That has been one of my big efforts.”

In addition to recognizing Black History Month, SA passed a bill allocating $375 to organize a screening of Spike Lee’s “Do the Right Thing.” SA will collaborate with University Union to prepare the screening. A date for the screening will be released soon by University Union.

SA also announced that the first town hall meeting of the semester will take place on Thursday, Feb. 24. The meeting will focus on general organizational culture on campus and how SA can connect, collaborate and better represent students.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this post stated that elections for SA President, Vice President and Comptroller would take place on April 24th. All elections, including for assembly members, will take place on April 4. The post also previously stated referendum campaigns will receive $50 rather than $100. The Daily Orange regrets these errors.