Fire in Newhouse 1 causes smoke damage, classes to be relocated

Ian Kirkpatrick | Contributing Photographer

The fire broke out in a classroom in Newhouse 1 on Thursday evening. No one was injured. There was smoke damage, Dean Mark Lodato wrote.

This post was updated on Friday, November 3rd, 2023 at 1:52p.m.

UPDATE:
In a Friday email, S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications Dean Mark Lodato said the first and second floors of Newhouse 1 will remain temporarily closed for cleaning, with a goal to re-open by Monday. The cause of the fire, which started in a first-floor classroom undergoing renovations, is still under investigation. Lodato said 11 classes were affected and relocated Friday.

A small fire broke out in the Newhouse 1 building on Syracuse University’s campus Thursday evening, according to an email from Lodato sent Thursday night.

No one was hurt in the fire, but Newhouse 1 classrooms and offices will be moved tomorrow, Lodato wrote. There was smoke damage. Clean-up efforts are underway and the area will be inspected tomorrow, according to the email.

The fire’s cause is still under investigation, Lodato wrote. Lodato invited anyone with concerns to reach out to him directly.

“Our top priority is the safety and well-being of our Newhouse community, and we are taking all necessary precautions,” Lodato wrote.

Students, faculty and staff affected by the fire will be notified of location changes as soon as possible, according to the email.

This story will be updated with additional reporting.