DPS receives ‘false’ active shooter report at Maxwell, Eggers Hall

Leanne Rivera | Staff Photographer

In the email, DPS asked anyone with information regarding who made the false report to contact the department or local police.

UPDATED: Feb. 13 at 11:25 a.m.

Syracuse University’s Department of Public Safety confirmed the two false reports of an active shooter at the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs were swatting incidents, according to a campus-wide email sent Monday night.

Swatting occurs when an anonymous caller “makes an intentionally false report” of the presence of an active shooter to “stoke fear among the targeted communities,” Associate Vice President and Chief of Campus Safety and Emergency Management Services Craig Stone wrote in the email.

Syracuse University’s Department of Public Safety announced it received a second “false report” of an active shooter at the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, according to a campus-wide email sent Monday afternoon.

After receiving the report at 11:47 a.m. Monday, DPS and SPD units determined the report to be false after a “quick response” and “thorough review” of all available video footage around the area, according to the email sent at 12:22 p.m.

DPS also received a “false report” of an active shooter at Maxwell and Eggers Hall Sunday night, according to a campus-wide email.

DPS determined the report was false after an “immediate review” of available video footage. After being dispatched to Maxwell and Eggers Halls, both DPS and SPD confirmed the report was false.

“We take all these reports seriously and investigate fully. Despite both of these incidents being swatting calls, the Department of Public Safety (DPS) will maintain increased patrols at Maxwell and Eggers Halls. DPS is also in contact with the FBI and local law enforcement as the investigation into who made these calls continues,” Stone wrote.

This post will be updated with additional reporting.