The Juice: Jell-O wrestling and an to Tonic Tuesdays

Two members of the SU girls club soccer team, Jenna Halpin, a freshman advertising and marketing major, and Jackie Friedman, a freshman in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, wrestle one another in a pool of Jell-O at a party on Friday night.

JELL-O JIGGLERS…

At one off-campus house party on Friday, students lined outside the apartment hoping to get catch a glimpse of the party’s big draw: the Syracuse University women’s club soccer team.

‘We had Jell-O wrestling,’ said Michelle Quinones, a junior nutrition science major and member of the club team. ‘That was pretty much the main attraction.’

The event, which Quinones called ‘just a form of entertainment,’ boasted scantily clad members from the club soccer team wrestling in a kiddie pool filled with Jell-O. A winner was crowned once one competitor had been pinned for a certain amount of time. Plenty of the girls, Quinones said, left the party with battle marks proving they had been wrestling in red Jell-O.

‘People got stained,’ she said. ‘They were stained the next morning on their hands and on their feet. We literally made about 150 packs of Jell-O.’

The wrestling only lasted for about half an hour, but at about 1 a.m., Quinones said, the party was ended when Syracuse Police Department officers entered the house and broke up the party.

At least 300 people witnessed the event, Quinones said, not including the crowd of hopeful partiers lined up outside, waiting to get in. Despite the numbers, the crowd was not nearly as rowdy as team had expected to see.

‘It was a calm crowd,’ Quinones said. ‘It was a really good party.’

THIS AND THAT…

The popular and once-weekly party known to midweek revelers as Tonic Tuesdays will most likely not be seen for the rest of the semester, according to junior television, radio and film major Pat Bither, one of the six roommates responsible for throwing the festivities. Since being shut down by the Syracuse Police a few weeks ago, the party has slowed down its frequency. Now that the party throwers are pretty sure they’re under surveillance from the police, Bither said, they’re going to refrain from throwing any more bashes until next semester. … At least two local fraternities’ pledge classes completed the process over the weekend.

GOT A JUICY TIDBIT? HEARD A CRAZY RUMOR? WANT TO SHARE A FUNNY STORY? DROP US AN E-MAIL AT [email protected].